Contact Form

 

Arsene Wenger farewell in full: Arsenal manager's speech at final Emirates Stadium game


Personally, I expect today will be dominated by sadness. It’s the end of a long story for me at Arsenal. But I will also feel grateful for having led this club - that I cherish so much - for such a long time.” “I tried to commit completely, for so many years, to make people happy and I wish just that people who love this club will be happy in the future and get what they really want and love.

“I’ve met people for whom I am the only Arsenal manager they have known, so now this is a good opportunity for the club to have new people and new ideas to continue to move the club forward, which is what I’ve tried to do my whole life.

“I’m proud that over the decades we could maintain an identification of players to the club. The players have a special attachment. Part of life as a player is to experience a special place, and that’s Arsenal.

“I’m not involved in who my successor will be, that’s not my job, but what I would say to him is that he should follow what he thinks is right for the club. I’ve been guided by that my whole life here.

“You have to think and act for the club like you own it. That’s the advice I’d give to him, you have to prepare to have that strength to fight every day to do the best possible for Arsenal.

“My final message is to the fans. Thank you very much for all your support down the years. Continue to stand behind and support the club that is so special to all of us. No matter what happens in the future, keep faith in what the club is going.

“Like you, I will continue to support Arsenal for the rest of my life.


ES Football Newsletter Enter your email address Please enter an email address Email address is invalid Fill out this field Email address is invalid Email cannot be used. Try another or register with your social account

Arsene Wenger has bid an emotional farewell to Arsenal at his final home game.

Having overseen a 5-0 win over Burnley for a thumping end to his 606th home game in charge, Wenger was joined by club legends Bob Wilson and Pat Rice to sign off.

Rice, his former assistant, gave Wenger a special trophy to commemorate the 2003-04 'Invincibles' season before the Frenchman addressed the crowd to renditions of 'Only One Arsene Wenger'.

Wenger's speech at Emirates Stadium in full:

"Before I start I just want to say that at Arsenal we care and I would like to wish my fellow manager Ferguson well, very quickly.

"Thank you for having me for such a long time but above all, I'm like you - I'm an Arsenal fan.

"I will always be an Arsenal fan. It is what unites us in every cell of our body, those dreams and worries.

"I would like to thank everyone at the club who makes this club so special.

"This group of players has special quality, not only on the pitch, but off it too. Support them next season, because they deserve it.

"I will miss you. Thank you for being such an important part of my life. I hope to see you soon."


Match Report

Arsene Wenger enjoyed a winning farewell in his final home game in charge as Arsenal eased to a 5-0 thumping of Burnley at Emirates Stadium.

The Frenchman, who will leave at the end of the season after nearly 22 years at the helm, saw his side seal sixth place in style, thrashing their nearest rivals in the table on Sunday.

While the midweek Europa League defeat to Atletico Madrid ended his hopes of finishing his reign with a trophy, Wenger was rightly the centre of attention in his 606th and last home fixture.

The outgoing manager was given a guard of honour prior to kick-off before witnessing his side cut loose against a Burnley side who arrived still harbouring hopes of leapfrogging their opponents.

A pair of goals from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - Wenger's final signing - book-ended efforts from Alexandre Lacazette, Sead Kolasinac and Alex Iwobi, as Arsenal made hay in the capital sunshine.

Only the woodwork denied them hitting half a dozen, Danny Welbeck seeing a thunderbolt kept out by the crossbar, on a day of celebration for Arsenal's longest serving manager.

The last three league meetings between the teams were settled in Arsenal’s favour by winners beyond the 90th minute, but the hosts made sure there was no need for late drama in Wenger's swansong.

They went ahead in the 14th minute when Lacazette's attempt to score from a tight angle on Arsenal's right instead set up Aubameyang for an easy tap-in.

The Frenchman turned from provider to scorer for Arsenal's second, poking in a left-footed volley towards the end of a first half extended by four minutes due to a shoulder injury to Ashley Barnes.

The striker went off with his right arm in a makeshift sling following a heavy collision with Granit Xhaka and, minus both Barnes and Chris Wood, their joint top-scorers, Burnley struggled to make an impact in attack, failing to even muster an attempt at goal before half-time.

Sam Vokes did call Petr Cech into action early in the second half, though his tame header summed up an unusually lacklustre performance from Sean Dyche's otherwise impressive squad this term.

Kolasinac killed off any slim hopes of a Burnley comeback, drilling a low drive into the net after he was teed up by Jack Wilshere's pass.

A fourth followed in the 64th minute, Iwobi firing into the roof of the net just as Arsenal fans sang about Patrick Vieira, a potential candidate to replace his old boss, while Aubameyang rounded out the scoring by tapping home Hector Bellerin's low cross.

Goals/ Highlights

5-0 to the Arsenal

It's four for Arsenal! Iwobi slams it in!

Sead Kolašinac smashes in a third. This is a lovely goodbye for Arsene Wenger.

Lacazette gives Arsenal a 2-0 lead

Aubameyang gives the Gunners the lead

An emotional welcome for Arsene Wenger in his final home match as Arsenal manager.

Team News.

Now for Arsenal

…and here’s how we line up for his final home game 😉#AFCvBFC pic.twitter.com/UBp12N7dzX — Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) May 6, 2018

Team news for Burnley

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply