Contact Form

 

Hurricane Florence - live updates: 'Extremely dangerous' storm grows in size and intensity on path to coast - despite fall in wind speed


Hurricane Florence will bring “life-threatening, catastrophic flash flooding” to North and South Carolina, the US National Hurricane Centre has warned, as president Donald Trump vowed the federal government was “ready for the big one”.

The agency also predicted massive quantities of rain – more than a metre in some places – would fall as the storm slowed and stalled over coastal states and other inland areas, including in Georgia and Kentucky.

The hurricane’s threat has caused supplies of food, drink and petrol to run out in some parts of the US East Coast where more than 1.5 million people have been ordered to evacuate. Officials warned the storm would be “nothing like you’ve ever seen”.

Follow updates below. Please allow a moment for the blog to load

Live Updates

“There’s no water. There’s no juices. There’s no canned goods,” Kristin Harrington said as she shopped at a Walmart supermarket in Wilmington, North Carolina, ahead of the Category 3 storm’s impending arrival.

Long queues formed at service stations as thousands of motorists streamed inland to escape the storm.

Fierce winds and massive waves are expected to lash the coasts of North and South Carolina and Virginia even before Florence makes landfall, and its rains will take a heavy toll for miles inland, the National Hurricane Centre in Miami warned.

“This storm is a monster,” North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper said. “Even if you’ve ridden out storms before, this one is different. Don’t bet your life on riding out a monster.”

“This storm is going to knock out power days into weeks. It’s going to destroy infrastructure. It’s going to destroy homes,” said Jeff Byard, an official at the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Mr Trump tweeted on Wednesday: “We got A Pluses for our recent hurricane work in Texas and Florida (and did an unappreciated great job in Puerto Rico, even though an inaccessible island with very poor electricity and a totally incompetent Mayor of San Juan). We are ready for the big one that is coming!

“Hurricane Florence is looking even bigger than anticipated. It will be arriving soon. FEMA, First Responders and Law Enforcement are supplied and ready. Be safe!”

To hasten evacuations from coastal South Carolina, officials reversed the flow of traffic on some highways so all major roads led away from shore. Miles of traffic slowed to a crawl along the main highway along North Carolina’s Outer Banks barrier islands.

The last Category 4 hurricane directly hit North Carolina was Hazel in 1954, a devastating storm that killed 19 people and destroyed some 15,000 homes.

States of emergency have been declared in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Maryland.

​In addition to flooding the coast with wind-driven storm surges of seawater as high as 13 feet (4 m), Hurricane Florence could dump 15 to 25 inches (38 to 64 cm) of rain, with up to 35 inches (89 cm) in some spots, forecasters said.

Things lost and saved: One year on from Hurricane Irma 7 show all Things lost and saved: One year on from Hurricane Irma 1/7 Inez Gibbs During September of 2017, the Caribbean was hit by two powerful hurricanes, Irma and Maria. Almost a year after the rebuilding effort continue at a slow pace and with fear of what this year hurricane season could bring. who is diabetic, lost everything except her bed and her teddy bears. Cash assistance from the Red Cross helped her to support herself while she waited to return to work. “These and my bed are the only things I saved. The teddy bears are my buddies, they are my friends. I bought them here from Jamaica 20 years ago. Everything else I had I lost. The cash I got was very helpful because I wasn’t able to work after the hurricane so it helped me to pay my bills and buy my medication.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 2/7 Cleve Pennyfeather, Disaster Response Officer at BVI Red Cross Cleve has been working for the British Virgin Islands Red Cross since January this year, working with local communities to help them recover from Irma and prepare for future hurricanes. The house he grew up in was badly damaged by the hurricane. “This house is very sentimental to me - it has been in my family well over 80 years and it means a lot to us. I grew up in this house as a little boy until I left for high school. It belonged to my grandparents, and now belongs to my uncle who is 91. Irma completely destroyed the roof, but thankfully the Red Cross provided him with some cash so that he could buy materials to get it rebuilt.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 3/7 Joan Chimney, 56 Joan runs the popular Sugar and Spice café on the island of Jost Van Dyke. She was on holiday in Grenada when the hurricane hit, but returned home to find her business badly damaged. “Everybody always comes to my restaurant and says they’re here for my patties. I make them every morning, wake up and come down to my shop to make them from scratch. The hurricane did some damage to my restaurant though - all the windows and doors gone. It’s a good thing that the Red Cross was there to give me some help buying them back so I could keep my business going.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 4/7 Lorie Rymer, 70 Lorie, a keen viola player, saw his most treasured possession damaged in Hurricane Irma, all he has now is the broken remains. “My house I will build back, but there’s no way that I could replace my instrument, my viola, I cannot replace it. It was just precious, I can still hear it in my mind how it used to sound. I would give anything if I might be able to purchase one again, a used one. It has to be very old and seasoned wood, maybe 30, 40, 50 years old. I’m going to take this one with me to the UK and have it repaired.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 5/7 Lucia Harrigan, 81 81-year-old Lucia, who had lived in her home for 60 years before it was destroyed by Hurricane Irma, is looking forward to returning to her own home. “When I see the destruction and I see what I had loved so dearly I sit down and I cry. The whole roof went, the shutters, and a brand new washer that I had just bought. I lost all my dining chairs, my living room set and a lot of my clothes, but I’m not worried about that, as long as I could find something to wear. But I saved a few things, maybe some are salvageable or maybe not. My favourite thing that I lost is the deeds to my land. I hope that I will get back in the house soon, because when you get to my age you like to be by yourself.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 6/7 Darrel Turnball Hurricane Irma destroyed almost everything Darrel owned, including his much-loved photo-album, but he managed to recover one of his favourite childhood toys. “This is my best friend – I have carried him with me my whole life. When I got married he was with me, when I got divorced he was with me, he goes everywhere I go. I was so happy when I realised he hadn’t been damaged in the hurricane.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 7/7 Rasheed Jennings, 20 When Irma hit, Rasheed sheltered in the bathroom with his mother, father and brother - from there all they could do was watch as Irma shattered their home. “The first thing that Irma blew out was the windows and then once the wind started to circle through the house it lifted up the doors and the roof, and once that was gone there was no protection and everything just started to float through the doors. Even my computer and PlayStation and all my gaming stuff was blown away, I didn’t even think to protect them. We could see the damage through the window in the bathroom but there wasn’t anything we could do at that point.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 1/7 Inez Gibbs During September of 2017, the Caribbean was hit by two powerful hurricanes, Irma and Maria. Almost a year after the rebuilding effort continue at a slow pace and with fear of what this year hurricane season could bring. who is diabetic, lost everything except her bed and her teddy bears. Cash assistance from the Red Cross helped her to support herself while she waited to return to work. “These and my bed are the only things I saved. The teddy bears are my buddies, they are my friends. I bought them here from Jamaica 20 years ago. Everything else I had I lost. The cash I got was very helpful because I wasn’t able to work after the hurricane so it helped me to pay my bills and buy my medication.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 2/7 Cleve Pennyfeather, Disaster Response Officer at BVI Red Cross Cleve has been working for the British Virgin Islands Red Cross since January this year, working with local communities to help them recover from Irma and prepare for future hurricanes. The house he grew up in was badly damaged by the hurricane. “This house is very sentimental to me - it has been in my family well over 80 years and it means a lot to us. I grew up in this house as a little boy until I left for high school. It belonged to my grandparents, and now belongs to my uncle who is 91. Irma completely destroyed the roof, but thankfully the Red Cross provided him with some cash so that he could buy materials to get it rebuilt.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 3/7 Joan Chimney, 56 Joan runs the popular Sugar and Spice café on the island of Jost Van Dyke. She was on holiday in Grenada when the hurricane hit, but returned home to find her business badly damaged. “Everybody always comes to my restaurant and says they’re here for my patties. I make them every morning, wake up and come down to my shop to make them from scratch. The hurricane did some damage to my restaurant though - all the windows and doors gone. It’s a good thing that the Red Cross was there to give me some help buying them back so I could keep my business going.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 4/7 Lorie Rymer, 70 Lorie, a keen viola player, saw his most treasured possession damaged in Hurricane Irma, all he has now is the broken remains. “My house I will build back, but there’s no way that I could replace my instrument, my viola, I cannot replace it. It was just precious, I can still hear it in my mind how it used to sound. I would give anything if I might be able to purchase one again, a used one. It has to be very old and seasoned wood, maybe 30, 40, 50 years old. I’m going to take this one with me to the UK and have it repaired.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 5/7 Lucia Harrigan, 81 81-year-old Lucia, who had lived in her home for 60 years before it was destroyed by Hurricane Irma, is looking forward to returning to her own home. “When I see the destruction and I see what I had loved so dearly I sit down and I cry. The whole roof went, the shutters, and a brand new washer that I had just bought. I lost all my dining chairs, my living room set and a lot of my clothes, but I’m not worried about that, as long as I could find something to wear. But I saved a few things, maybe some are salvageable or maybe not. My favourite thing that I lost is the deeds to my land. I hope that I will get back in the house soon, because when you get to my age you like to be by yourself.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 6/7 Darrel Turnball Hurricane Irma destroyed almost everything Darrel owned, including his much-loved photo-album, but he managed to recover one of his favourite childhood toys. “This is my best friend – I have carried him with me my whole life. When I got married he was with me, when I got divorced he was with me, he goes everywhere I go. I was so happy when I realised he hadn’t been damaged in the hurricane.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross 7/7 Rasheed Jennings, 20 When Irma hit, Rasheed sheltered in the bathroom with his mother, father and brother - from there all they could do was watch as Irma shattered their home. “The first thing that Irma blew out was the windows and then once the wind started to circle through the house it lifted up the doors and the roof, and once that was gone there was no protection and everything just started to float through the doors. Even my computer and PlayStation and all my gaming stuff was blown away, I didn’t even think to protect them. We could see the damage through the window in the bathroom but there wasn’t anything we could do at that point.” Dennis Rivera/British Red Cross

“The Storms in the Atlantic are very dangerous,” Donald Trump tweeted. “We encourage anyone in the path of these storms to prepare themselves and to heed the warnings of State and Local officials. The Federal Government is closely monitoring and ready to assist. We are with you!”

State governors said they would open shelters for displaced residents.

Behind Florence in the Atlantic are at least two other storm systems, Hurricane Isaac and Hurricane Helene. In the Pacific, the state of Hawaii is expecting to be hit by its second hurricane of the season if tropical storm Olivia makes its way to the islands as predicted. Isaac has weakened in recent hours, the NHC said.


Hurricane Florence weakened more but was still a powerful storm on Wednesday night that could bring a devastating one-two punch of wind and water to the Carolinas.

The National Hurricane Center continued to stress the magnitude of the risks from Florence, whether it's a Category 3 or Category 5: Damaging winds, life-threatening storm surge and catastrophic inland flooding.

Find more weather news here: www.al.com/hurricane

Florence's forecast track shifted a bit to the south earlier on Wednesday, and forecasters noted that shifts further to the south could be possible.

However the hurricane center urged hurricane watchers not to focus just on the point of landfall.

"It is important for users to realize that significant impacts extend well away from the center of Florence, and serious hazards such as a dangerous storm surge and flooding rains will cover a large area regardless of exactly where the center moves," forecasters said Wednesday morning.

And those impacts won't lessen even if Florence's wind speed decreases some, which it is forecast to do as the storm nears the coast.

Florence is also expected to slow down and crawl just off the coast before making landfall, which could exacerbate impacts from surge, wind and rain.

As of 7 p.m. CDT Wednesday, Hurricane Florence was located about 335 miles southeast of Wilmington, N.C., and was moving northwest at 16 mph.

Florence's winds dropped again to 115 mph as of the 7 p.m. update. Florence is still a Category 3 hurricane, and some fluctuations in strength will be possible through Thursday morning, forecasters said.

The hurricane center that while Florence hasn't strengthened in terms of winds, "the inner-core and outer wind fields have continued to expand, resulting in an increase the cyclone's total energy, which will create a significant storm surge event."

Hurricane force winds extend outward 70 miles from the center of Florence.

Florence is expected to weaken on Thursday as it nears the East Coast.

The big question continues to be where will Florence make landfall.

Florence is forecast to track to the west-northwest and northwest through Thursday.

On the forecast track, the center of Florence approach the coast of North Carolina or South Carolina in the hurricane warning area on Thursday and Friday, and move slowly near the coastline through Saturday, the hurricane center said.

The hurricane center noted that models have shifted southward, and so has the official track earlier Wednesday:

"Later in the period, the dynamical model spread increases but most of the guidance has continued its southward shift, and now take Florence southwestward near the coast of South Carolina by day 4."

Forecasters said many of the more reliable models have shifted even further south of the official track "and additional southward adjustment may be warranted in future advisories."

A high definition camera outside the International Space Station captured a stark and sobering view of #HurricaneFlorence at 7:50 a.m. EDT on Sept. 12 as it churned across the Atlantic in a west-northwesterly direction with winds of 130 miles an hour. pic.twitter.com/KG9OY7Iv4l -- Intl. Space Station (@Space_Station) September 12, 2018

Here are the watches and warnings in effect as of 7 p.m. CDT:

A storm surge warning is in effect from the South Santee River in South Carolina to Duck, N.C., as well as the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds and the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers.

A storm surge watch is in effect from Edisto Beach, S.C., to the South Santee River, S.C., as well as from north of Duck, N.C., to the North Carolina/Virginia border.

A hurricane warning is in effect from the South Santee River, S.C., to Duck, N.C., and the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds.

A hurricane watch is in effect from Edisto Beach, S.C., to the South Santee River, S.C.

A tropical storm warning is in effect from north of Duck, N.C., to the North Carolina/Virginia border.

A tropical storm watch is in effect from north of the North Carolina/Virginia border to Cape Charles Light in Virginia as well as the Chesapeake Bay south of New Point Comfort.

The hurricane center was particularly concerned about storm surge and inland flooding from Florence.

Storm surge could reach 9-13 feet in the surge warning area from Cape Lookout to Cape Fear in North Carolina, and as high as 9 feet for the Myrtle Beach area.

"Heavy and excessive" rainfall is also likely, especially if the storms stalls near the coast.

Coastal North Carolina could get 20-30 inches, with isolated areas getting up to 40 inches of rain from Florence.

"This rainfall would produce catastrophic flash flooding and significant river flooding," the hurricane center said.

Florence is one of four named storms in the Atlantic on Wednesday.

Subtropical Storm Joyce is the latest addition. It is in the north Atlantic and not expected to threaten land in the short-term.

There's also Hurricane Helene, which is weakening as it moves northward far from land in the central Atlantic.

Tropical Storm Isaac is also weakening as it tracks closer to the Caribbean. It is forecast to move through the islands on Thursday while continuing to weaken.

Tropical Storm Isaac update: Isaac continues to weaken


0 LIVE UPDATES: A 'Mike Tyson punch' to the Carolina coast

ATLANTA - As Hurricane Florence continues to move closer to the East Coast, Channel 2 Action News has multiple reporters fanned out from the coasts of North Carolina, to Savannah and in Atlanta.

Our reporters are speaking with residents, local officials and emergency crews about their preparations for the storm.

We are also monitoring traffic as evacuees flood into Georgia, how coastal communities are responding and how the storm is expected to impact the metro Atlanta area.

[Gov. Deal issues State of Emergency for Georgia ahead of Hurricane Florence]

Stay with Channel 2 Action News throughout the week and weekend as we continue to cover Hurricane Florence like no other news outlet

[Download the FREE Severe Weather Team 2 app to monitor the hurricane]

LIVE UPDATES:

9:16 p.m.

Delta confirms to Channel 2 Action News that Vice President Mike Pence's visit to Atlanta tomorrow has been canceled because of Hurricane Florence

7:31 p.m.

Severe Weather Team 2 Chief Meteorologist Glenn Burns said a buoy has measured a wave in the Atlantic at 83 feet.

7:11 p.m.

The Red Cross says more than 1,600 people spent Tuesday night in 36 Red Cross and community shelters in North Carolina and South Carolina and more than 1,500 disaster workers are either on the ground or in route to the region to help.

Some 80 emergency response vehicles and more than 120 trailers of equipment and relief supplies have already been deployed.

7:05 p.m.

"This is not going to be a glancing blow," warns Jeff Byard, an administrator with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. "This is going to be a Mike Tyson punch to the Carolina coast."

7:03 p.m.

Our last update from right on the beach — we’re headed inland now as the bridges on and off the beach shut down at 8. #WrightsvilleBeach #StormWatchOn2 @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/adJrBaYBW6 — Brian Monahan, WSB (@BMonahanWSB) September 12, 2018

6:47 p.m.

The sun is setting on #Florence as it approaches the Carolina Coast pic.twitter.com/xGEjsMPXzb — NWS Columbia (@NWSColumbia) September 12, 2018

6:35 p.m.

Delta announced that airports in Charleston, S.C., Fayetteville, N.C., Jacksonville, N.C., and Wilmington, N.C., will close Wednesday evening after the arrival of most flights and will remain closed through Thursday, possibly longer.

Delta has added a total of 1,200 seats via extra flights and upsized aircraft in the storm's path. The airline has also expanded its travel waiver to include Asheville, N.C., Augusta, Ga., and Greenville/Spartanburg S.C., in addition to extending the impacted travel dates covered by the waiver through Sept. 17. The airline has also waived baggage and pet-in-cabin fees.

Delta has proactively cancelled approximately 85 flights, primarily scheduled for Thursday, to and from cities along the storm’s path as Hurricane Florence continues its approach to the Carolina coast.

6:26 p.m.

JUST IN: Some schools along the Georgia coast will be closed Friday:

6:16 p.m.

Join us tonight on Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV for a special digital-only show:

TONIGHT AT 7:30: Join Severe Weather Team 2 Chief Meteorologist @GlennBurnsWSB & @BradNitzWSB for a special digital only show, tracking Hurricane Florence. Watch here: https://t.co/7OgNZWtVie or on the Channel 2 Action News app on Roku, AppleTV and Amazon Fire TV pic.twitter.com/TBsYk1HjCC — WSB-TV (@wsbtv) September 12, 2018

6:11 p.m.

Trump spoke about the impending hurricane:

Pres. Trump on Hurricane #Florence: “We’re getting tremendous accolades from politicians and the people. We are ready, but this is going to be one of the biggest ones to ever hit our country.” https://t.co/sqWyiuPyr1 pic.twitter.com/FdZGym9iKy — ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) September 12, 2018

Pres. Trump on Hurricane #Florence preparations: “Protection of life is the absolute highest priority. And that’s what we’re doing. It’s called protection of life.” https://t.co/Ql1g4aE8cx pic.twitter.com/ANxX2HH2MW — World News Tonight (@ABCWorldNews) September 12, 2018

5:48 p.m.

Channel 2 reporters on the ground in the coastal Carolinas reported finding gas stations with little to no gas.

5:40 p.m.

Wind will push water well inland along the coast areas of North Carolina. 9-13 feet of storm surge expected from Cape Fear to Cape Lookout. Here's a detailed graphic on what to expect... pic.twitter.com/iM9Um9yZbM — Glenn Burns (@GlennBurnsWSB) September 12, 2018

5:26 p.m.

North Carolina Emergency Management Director Mike Sprayberry says between 4 and 5 thousand people are in shelters.

5:21 p.m.

NEW: White House press secretary Sarah Sanders says Pres. Trump spoke with Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal today and has been receiving regular updates on storms threatening U.S. https://t.co/FT5FBS9u6A pic.twitter.com/k5CmcQzl4i — ABC News (@ABC) September 12, 2018

5:20 p.m.

The new track brings Florence near east and northeast Georgia from Sunday to Monday. Its important to note the winds will be 25-30 mph however. pic.twitter.com/OnOx8vkugN — Brad Nitz (@BradNitzWSB) September 12, 2018

5:16 p.m.

The National Hurricane Center just released the new forecast track for Hurricane Florence:

5:13 p.m

Its been 10 years since there have been 4 named storms in the Atlantic at the same time. pic.twitter.com/MdHC1CTMEo — Brad Nitz (@BradNitzWSB) September 12, 2018

5:09 p.m.

North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper had a stern warning about the upcoming storm: "One million NC residents have been asked to evacuate. If you have not been asked to leave, get ready to hunker down. Plan to be without power for days. Some areas will receive rain in feet instead of inches."

5:07 p.m.

More than 10 million people are under storm watches and warnings in 3 states as Hurricane Florence approaches the Carolinas and Georgia.

5:00 p.m.

Surf has increases significantly along #WrightsvilleBeach NC — live report on storm preps next live at 5. @wsbtv #florence pic.twitter.com/EKvIWOaiRc — Brian Monahan, WSB (@BMonahanWSB) September 12, 2018

4:52 p.m.

We now have Tropical Storm Joyce.

This is the first time since 2008 the Atlantic has had 4 named storms simultaneously. pic.twitter.com/PJpNk9yznx — Brad Nitz (@BradNitzWSB) September 12, 2018

4:52 p.m.

The Jackson County EMC says they are closely monitoring the projected forecast of Hurricane Florence and its potential impact on Northeast Georgia and is ready to respond. Linemen and other support personnel stand ready to respond to our members when needed.

4:47 p.m.

The latest advisory indicates that Hurricane Florence will likely remain a Category 3 storm and not restrengthen to a Category 4 as it was earlier forecast. The latest data has the storm curving slightly more north.

4:45 p.m.

The @GeorgiaGuard gave us exclusive access inside its Joint Operation Center where all eyes are focused on Hurricane #Florence.

The resources ready to roll...at 6! @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/04nEeQsMVU — Aaron Diamant (@AaronDiamantWSB) September 12, 2018

4:33 p.m.

Savannah's Fort Pulaski National Monument will be closed starting Thursday, Sept. 13. The park will remain closed until after the storm has passed and re-open once damage assessments have been made and the park is deemed safe for visitation.

4:29 p.m.

Delta says they have added more than 1,000 seats for the Carolinas for Florence evacuees.

4:14 p.m.

For one Marietta family with ties to Pawleys Island, SC, five generations of memories are in the hurricane’s path. Live at 4:45. @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/FCtR51Tvax — Chris Jose (@ChrisJoseWSB) September 12, 2018

4:10 a.m.

Huge swells are causing rip currents and beach erosion and it will get much worse. pic.twitter.com/KYVyeaOQ5b — Brad Nitz (@BradNitzWSB) September 12, 2018

4:08 p.m.

Georgia hotels are starting to fill up as evacuees flood the state.

For people evacuating, here is a list of hotels with rooms still available https://t.co/Qk01NrD9vI — WSB-TV (@wsbtv) September 12, 2018

4:06 p.m.

GEMA will go to "level 1" full-scale activation and open their special operations center tomorrow morning at 7 a.m..

3:56 p.m.

Catastrophic storm surge potential for the North Carolina coast from 10-13 feet from Cape Fear to Cape Lookout.@BMonahanWSB will be reporting live from Wrightsville Beach on @wsbtv. pic.twitter.com/ZeJR8njRQT — Brad Nitz (@BradNitzWSB) September 12, 2018

3:50 a.m.

Power crews were seen gathering at Gwinnett Place Mall last night ahead of #Florence ‘s arrival. pic.twitter.com/IbsGlBaQvL — Gwinnett Police Dept (@GwinnettPd) September 12, 2018

3:49 p.m.

Steering currents continue to be weak. A very challenging forecast ahead. Tune in to @wsbtv at 4pm for the latest updates on #HurricaneFlorence. #StormWatchOn2 pic.twitter.com/SCN0UeSaVX — Glenn Burns (@GlennBurnsWSB) September 12, 2018

3:37 p.m.

At 4, GEMA-Homeland Security will activate its Special Operations Center tomorrow morning as Gov. Deal declares states of emergency in all 159 Georgia counties. The state is getting ready for Hurricane Florence. pic.twitter.com/xUUxdgoHP8 — Richard Elliot (@RElliotWSB) September 12, 2018

3:35 p.m.

Air BnB is offering free places for refugees from Florence to stay:

Do you have friends or family evacuating from #HurricaneFlorence? @Airbnb has free options for those unable to afford lodging. More info at https://t.co/AZjxsKMoFT — DeKalb County EMA (@DeKalbCountyEMA) September 12, 2018

3:17 p.m.

Georgia Power says they are actively monitoring the storm and coordinating with emergency partners, including GEMA and the Mutual Assistance Network. Visit www.georgiapower.com/storm to sign up for outage alerts.

1: 42 p.m.

An incredibly active tropical Atlantic right now. Wow!

Both of those red Xs are likely to become tropical cyclones in the next few days. pic.twitter.com/GlfyFnnVws — Brad Nitz (@BradNitzWSB) September 12, 2018

1:17 p.m

From our sister station in Jacksonville, check out the traffic at the SC/Ga border as evacuees leave areas that could be impacted by Florence:

1:13 p.m.

Atlanta Motor Speedway announced they were opening even more campgrounds to refugees from Florence.

Attention Hurricane Florence Evacuees! We will be opening our Premiere and Legends campgrounds to those who need refuge! Dry camping will be FREE and full hookup sites will cost $20 per night.

More Info -> https://t.co/8Csk01bKiE pic.twitter.com/sdACMMbC15 — Atlanta Motor Speedway (@amsupdates) September 11, 2018

12:52 p.m.

Gov. Nathan Deal has issued a state of emergency for all 139 Georgia counties as Florence tracks closer to Georgia.

Based on the latest 11 a.m. forecast for the southward track of Hurricane Florence after making landfall and acting on a recommendation from @GeorgiaEMA officials, I have issued an emergency declaration for all 159 counties in Georgia. Read more here: https://t.co/FmO4iELdYq — Governor Nathan Deal (@GovernorDeal) September 12, 2018

12:35 p.m.: Channel 2's Berndt Petersen is in Bartow County is at the Budweiser plant where workers will ship water to Hurricane Florence victims.

Budweiser plant in Bartow County will ship water to hurricane victims. 5pm pic.twitter.com/8oc6AWzea4 — Berndt Petersen (@BPetersenWSB) September 12, 2018

12:29 p.m.: Channel 2's Dave Huddleston is at the Atlanta airport where FEMA workers are gearing up for the storm.

We found these FEMA workers at the airport, gearing up for #HurricaneFlorence and other natural disasters. @wsbtv #StormWatchOn2 pic.twitter.com/LGYCZLwRX4 — Dave Huddleston (@DaveHWSB) September 12, 2018

12:06 p.m.: Channel 2's Craig Lucie is with local EMCs in Georgia as they prepare for Hurricane Florence.

We are with local EMCs today standing by in preparation for #HurricaneFlorence2018 @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/iAXyD79sbL — Craig Lucie (@CraigLucie) September 12, 2018

11:43 a.m.: Channel 2's photojournalist Brian Ferguson is using NewsDrone2 over Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina.

Drone photo above Wrightsville Beach, NC. pic.twitter.com/MAfYKtGIsT — Brian Ferguson (@BFergusonWSB) September 12, 2018

10:49 a.m.: Severe Weather Team 2 Meteorologist Brian Monahan is starting notice that the surf is beginning to pickup under the pier in Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina.

10:47 a.m.: Channel 2's Nicole Carr said that hospitals in Myrtle Beach are discharging and evacuating patients ahead of the storm.

Hospitals are now discharging, evacuating patients in Myrtle Beach. This one closed this morning. We'll have another live report from the SC coast on @wsbtv at noon. #HurricaneFlorence #Florence #StormWatchOn2 pic.twitter.com/lq8O79x3HE — Nicole Carr (@NicoleCarrWSB) September 12, 2018

10:22 a.m.: Channel 2's Tony Thomas is on his way to Savannah, as Hurricane Florence's track moves closer to the Georgia coast.

Rolling to the Georgia coast as Hurricane #Florence twists south over the Atlantic. She’s becoming more and more a factor for Georgia. Stay with us as we monitor the storm by the minute . #stormwatchon2 pic.twitter.com/dbpay4q3HI — Tony Thomas (@TonyThomasWSB) September 12, 2018

10:20 a.m.: Channel 2's Richard Elliot received a statement from GEMA, which said it is currently in a on Level 2.

Just got this statement from GEMA as it monitors Florence's track: "...GEMA/HS is in Level 2 enhanced monitoring operations today. We will continue to communicate with state, local and federal partners and assist them with any current or projected needs." More at 12. — Richard Elliot (@RElliotWSB) September 12, 2018

9:55 a.m.: Channel 2's Nicole Carr spoke to the Myrtle Beach mayor, who said the storm is the "real deal."

"This is the real deal. This is the one we need to pay attention to...." Don't miss these warnings from our interview with Myrtle Beach mayor , Brenda Bethune @BethuneForMB on @wsbtv at noon. #HurricaneFlorence #Florence #StormWatchOn2 @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/DZINF9eIMj — Nicole Carr (@NicoleCarrWSB) September 12, 2018

9:38 a.m.

Watch out, America! #HurricaneFlorence is so enormous, we could only capture her with a super wide-angle lens from the @Space_Station, 400 km directly above the eye. Get prepared on the East Coast, this is a no-kidding nightmare coming for you. #Horizons pic.twitter.com/ovZozsncfh — Alexander Gerst (@Astro_Alex) September 12, 2018

9:28 a.m.: Severe Weather Team 2 Meteorologist Brian Monahan is at Wrightsville Beach where lifeguard stands are coming down.

9:27 a.m.: Channel 2's Nicole Carr is in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina where she said her hotel receptionist said people are still making arrangements ahead of Florence.

Listening to the Myrtle Beach hotel receptionist tell an evacuee no pets are allowed. People still making arrangements ahead of #HurricaneFlorence . We’ll have another live report at noon #StormWatchOn2 @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/RM26PTEb8X — Nicole Carr (@NicoleCarrWSB) September 12, 2018

8:19 a.m.: Severe Weather Team 2 Meteorologist Brian Monahan sees a line of crews on standby for power outages in Wilmington, North Carolina.

Just getting up and about this morning — lots of power/line crews already staying at our hotel... ready to help restore power in #florence aftermath. @wsbtv — Brian Monahan, WSB (@BMonahanWSB) September 12, 2018

© 2018 Cox Media Group.


Hurricane Florence is steadily churning toward the Carolinas and could impact residents as far south as Georgia or north into Virginia as it comes ashore, according to the National Hurricane Center.

>> Read more trending news

Millions of people are in its path and are now under a hurricane warning or watch as experts predict the storm will dump as much as 40 inches of rain in some areas and cause storm surges as high as 13 feet.

>>What is a storm surge and why is it dangerous?

The NHC is forecasting Florence will slow or stall as it reaches the coast, generating winds fueling “life-threatening” storm surge, and producing rainfall causing “catastrophic” flooding.

“This is shaping up to be a very dangerous scenario, as Florence nears our coast and stalls, unprecedented and life-threatening flooding may unfold,” a forecaster for the National Weather Service in Wilmington, N.C. wrote.

>> To keep up with latest on how Florence will impact the Carolinas, download the WSOC weather app

Live updates:

(National Hurricane Center)

Update 8:50 p.m. EDT Sept 12: Hurricane Florence is a monster storm. All you have to do is check out the photos from space of the Category 3 hurricane to verify it.

NASA is sharing photos of the storm taken from the International Space Station and the camera lens almost isn’t big enough to encompass the entire hurricane.

What do hurricanes look like from space? It depends on how you look! We have satellites, cameras aboard the @Space_Station and other instruments all working together to give us a big picture view of storms like #HurricaneFlorence. Take a look: https://t.co/cBMUJVwqbU pic.twitter.com/2h98Y06rnf — NASA (@NASA) September 12, 2018

Update 8:15 p.m. EDT Sept 12: Hurricane Florence is weakening ever so slightly with wind speeds down to 115 mph, according to the latest update form the National Hurricane Center, but the storm is still a powerful Category 3 hurricane.

The NHC is predicting Florence will remain “an extremely dangerous major hurricane” when it makes landfall late Thursday or early Friday.

>> Related: Here’s what to do if your car is swept away by floodwaters

Hurricane-force winds extend outward from the center of the storm up to 70 miles and tropical-storm-force winds extend even further at 195 miles from its center.

Update 6:10 p.m. EDT Sept 12: Once Hurricane Florence makes landfall, the storm could linger along the coast for as long as a day before slowly moving inland, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Weather Prediction Center.

“This brings a number of dangerous hazards. Obviously the wind, but most importantly the storm surge, which is one of the deadliest hazards of hurricanes, and the inland rainfall associated with this event” David Novak, the director of the Weather Prediction Center, said Wednesday afternoon.

“These hazards are deadly. In fact, over half of hurricane deaths are associated with water, both surge and rainfall, and that is our major concern with Hurricane Florence,” Novak said.

VIDEO UPDATE: Director of the Weather Prediction Center describes what you can expect with #HurricaneFlorence..."Rainfall forecast from Hurricane Florence rivals state records" pic.twitter.com/Cf5WNpgncT — NWS (@NWS) September 12, 2018

Tropical storm-strength winds are expected to begin lashing the Carolina coastlines beginning Thursday morning.

Southeastern North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina could see up to 2 feet of rain when Florence comes ashore, Novak said.

>> Related: Hurricane Florence: Only 3 Category 4 hurricanes have made landfall in the Carolinas

He also said few people have seen this much rain and that it’s really only comparable to Hurricane Floyd, which hit eastern North Carolina in 1999 and caused widespread flooding over a period of weeks, killing 57 people and leaving behind damages of more than $6 billion dollars.

Life-threatening, catastrophic flash flooding and prolonged significant river flooding is likely over the Carolinas and the southern and central Appalachians late this week into early next week, as #Florence is expected to slow down as it approaches the coast and move inland. pic.twitter.com/wC8uvDRrT4 — NWS WPC (@NWSWPC) September 12, 2018

Update 5 p.m. EDT Sept 12: More than 10 million people are under a hurricane warning or watch throughout the Carolinas and Georgia, according to The Associated Press.

The NHC is also predicting Florence will bring up to 13-foot storm surges and as much as 40 inches of rain in some areas as it slows once it makes landfall.

BREAKING: More than 10 million people are under storm watches and warnings in 3 states as Hurricane Florence approaches the Carolinas and Georgia. https://t.co/UY30KXaP1A (CORRECTS type of warnings) — The Associated Press (@AP) September 12, 2018

>>What is the Saffir-Simpson scale; how does it work; is there a Category 6?

The storm’s winds have dropped to 120 mph and it is moving in a northwesterly direction at 16 mph, the National Hurricane Center said in it’s latest update.

Update 4:45 p.m. EDT Sept. 12: Storm surge warnings are now posted for parts of the North and South Carolina coastal region as Hurricane Florence bares down on the eastern seaboard.

The National Hurricane Center has warned that Florence is expected to bring “life-threatening” storm surge when it slams into the Carolinas over the next few days.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster , during an afternoon press conference Wednesday, called the storm’s path “unpredictable” and urged people in the state’s evacuation zones to take the storm warnings seriously.

Thousands of people in North and South Carolina, and parts of coastal Georgia and Virginia, are evacuating as the powerful hurricane churns toward shore.

Update 3:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Duke Energy looking at between 1-3 million without power

Duke Energy, which serves 4 million customers in North and South Carolina, says it expects between 1 million and 3 million customers will lose power because of Hurricane Florence.

More than 20,000 power workers from Duke and from other utility companies in other states are stationed around the region awaiting the storm’s landfall.

Update 2:54 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

What will 25 inches of rain do?

The official track shows a very slow moving tropical system. Please understand the impacts of wind, storm surge, and especially flooding expected with #Florence. There will be significant rainfall no matter where you are in SE #ncwx and NE #scwx. pic.twitter.com/lDTzsUtCkc — NWS Wilmington NC (@NWSWilmingtonNC) September 12, 2018

Update 2:22 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Pet rumor debunked

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is debunking a rumor that emergency shelters and hotels are required by law to allow those who evacuate to bring their pets.

FEMA points out that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires hotels and shelters to accept service animals, not personal pets. FEMA offers this link on evacuating with pets.

Update 2 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Florence is now a Category 3 – still a major hurricane

Here’s what we know after the 2 p.m. update from the NHC:

Florence is 435 miles southeast of Wilmington, N.C., or 470 miles east-southeast of Myrtle Beach, S.C. Sustained winds have dropped to 125. Florence is moving at 16 mph.

Florence's predicted southward turn off of North Carolina on Friday means more of the coastline will be affected – some areas getting hurricane-force winds for more than 24 hours. Hurricane force winds are winds that are greater than 74 mph. In Wilmington, N.C. the storm surge will be between 9 and 13 feet.

Update 1:40 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Florence from space

Here is the latest satellite image of Florence. Most likely arrival time of tropical storm force winds in our area is late morning/early afternoon tomorrow. Today is the last day to safely travel out of the area. Please heed any evacuation orders and we will continue to monitor. pic.twitter.com/tKs4dmYWEE — NWS Wilmington NC (@NWSWilmingtonNC) September 12, 2018

Update 1:05 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

An ‘odd’ hurricane

Weather Channel meteorologist Greg Postel told USA Today that Florence’s track change is not what he would expect to see from such a storm. Postel said Florence will likely "stall near the coast and then parallel southwestward toward Georgia," instead of quickly heading inland.

Update 12:44 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Deal declares an emergency

Following the change in the forecast for Florence earlier Wednesday, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal has declared a state of emergency for all counties in the state.

Update 12:10 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Flying into the eye

Here’s what it looks like when you fly into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane.

Time-lapse video of a #NOAA WP-3D Hurricane Hunter (#NOAA42) flight into Hurricane #Florence on Sept. 10, 2018. Get the latest on the storm at https://t.co/MlZk25kG0d. Credit: Nick Underwood/NOAA pic.twitter.com/FQ3RJMKVUU — NOAA Aircraft Operations Center (@NOAA_HurrHunter) September 11, 2018

Update 12:05 p.m. EDT Sept. 12:

‘A Mike Tyson punch to the Carolina coast’

The Carolinas will be receiving the full brunt of Hurricane Florence in the next 48 hours, according to Jeff Byard, associate administrator for response and recovery at the Federal Emergency Management Agency. “This is not going to be a glancing blow,” he said. “This is not going to be one of those storms that hit and move out to sea. This is going to be a Mike Tyson punch to the Carolina coast.”

The National Hurricane Center is continuing to warn coastal residents of “life-threatening storm surges.” A storm surge is water pushed inland from landfalling hurricanes. The NHC says some surges can be up upwards of 9 feet.

Update 11:10 a.m. EDT Sept. 12:

What’s the track now?

According to the 11 a.m. NHC update, on the current forecast track, “… the center of Florence is expected to be near the coasts of southern North Carolina and northern South Carolina in 48 to 72 hours and then drift westward to west-southwestward in weak steering flow.

Update 11 a.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Update on Florence from the NHC

The 11 a.m. update from the National Hurricane Center puts Florence about 485 miles southeast of Wilmington, N.C., or 520 miles east-southeast of Myrtle Beach, S.C., with sustained winds remaining at 130 mph. Florence is moving northwest at 15 mph. The storm has slowed its forward motion a bit.

Update 10 a.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Presidential warning

President Donald Trump is warning Georgia residents to be on watch saying, “Florence may now be dipping a bit south and hitting the Great State of Georgia.

Hurricane Florence may now be dipping a bit south and hitting a portion of the Great State of Georgia. Be ready, be prepared! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 12, 2018

Update 9:48 a.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Evacuations

Click here for WSOC’s updating list of mandatory and voluntary evacuations in North Carolina.

Update 8:48 a.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Change in steering currents

The NHC says the currents that are guiding Florence will collapse as the storm nears the coast, making it more difficult to predict where the storm will end up. As of Wednesday, the NHC is predicting a landfall in southeast North Carolina. This is a bit south of Tuesday’s predicted landfall.

“Models are indicating that the steering currents will collapse by Friday when Florence is approaching the southeast U.S. coast,” according to the NHC update. “The weak steering currents are expected to continue through the weekend, which makes the forecast track on days 3-5 quite uncertain.”

Update 8 a.m. EDT Sept. 12:

From the NHC

According to the NHC, at 8 a.m. Florence was about 530 miles southeast of Cape Fear, N.C. with winds at 130 mph. It was moving west-northwest at 17 mph.

Update 7:45 a.m. EDT Sept. 12:

Here’s what we know early Wednesday from the NHC’s 5 a.m. report:

Florence was centered more than 500 miles southeast of Cape Fear, North Carolina, moving west-northwestward.

Florence remains a Category 4 hurricane with 130 mph winds

Landfall looks to be late Thursday into Friday

Tropical-storm-force winds should arrive at the coast as soon as Thursday morning.

Florence is causing rip currents up and down the East Coast as far south as Florida.

Here’s what Hurricane Florence looks like from a satellite.

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply