Contact Form

 

Malaysian police to seek arrest warrant for missing UMNO division chief Jamal Yunos


PETALING JAYA: Controversial politician Datuk Seri Jamal Yunos still insists that he will eventually turn himself in at the Ampang Police District headquarters, but appeals to the police to give him time following his no-show on Monday.

In a video message recorded in front of a group of palm oil trees, the Sungai Besar Umno division chief alleged there were efforts to target him if he showed up at the police station as he had initially promised.

“I believe there are hidden hands who have the power to instruct the police to target me.

“I am not rejecting the rule of law but I fear there are other serious actions awaiting me as I have been blacklisted from travelling overseas,” he said in the video, which is slightly more than seven-minutes long.

He feels that his rights as a Malaysian citizen are not preserved, added Jamal.

“My family and I have been targeted. The police are hunting me as if they were ordered by those in power,' he claimed.

“I am depicted as if I had done a very serious crime even betrayed the country, judging by how they are treating me,” he said.

He also realised that he had promised to go to the police station on Monday to settle the matter, which he described as a misunderstanding.

“When I was remanded in connection with a police report based on a picture of me armed with a pistol and carrying a child.

I deny this as it was not me. It was an edited photo.

“Just because of that report, I was remanded at the hospital for three days and I was even charged for breaking bottles of alcohol beverages and trespassing on gambling premises,” he said.

He added that his actions were politically motivated but he was never a criminal.

“I am merely a political and society leader who wants to expose matters of public interest and I paid the price with authorities taking action against me,” he said.


PETALING JAYA: Ramkarpal Singh (pic) has urged the police to arrest the Sungai Besar Umno division chief Datuk Seri Jamal Yunos for not turning himself in at the Ampang Police District headquarters on Monday (May 30)."This nonsense must stop. We are no longer the past administration," the Bukit Gelugor MP said in a statement."Jamal must be arrested and he must be arrested now."Ramkarpal called on the Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun, to arrest Jamal or risk being labelled "useless", thus having to resign."The PDRM (Royal Malaysia Police) must take the necessary steps to ensure law and order. Jamal was scheduled to surrender today. He did not."Is the force so hopeless that it can’t even arrest a person like Jamal for the purposes of investigations?" he asked.Jamal recorded a video message appealing to the police to give him time to turn himself in.“I am not rejecting the rule of law but I fear there are other serious actions awaiting me as I have been blacklisted from travelling overseas,” he said in the video.He also claimed there were "hidden hands" with the power to instruct the police to target him.

Related story:

Jamal posts viral video pledging to turn himself in, claims hidden hands out to target him


SHAH ALAM: The Malaysian police will file for an arrest warrant against UMNO division chief Jamal Yunos, who had absconded from completing his bail process on Wednesday (May 30).

The police will also intensify their search for the Sungai Besar division chief, who has been missing since May 25.

Advertisement

Jamal was given ample time to cooperate with the police but had failed to respond, Selangor Criminal Investigation Department chief Fadzil Ahmat said in a statement. Jamal had also flip-flopped in the statements he had made in videos posted on social media, he added.

“The police have taken action in accordance with the law in handling cases involving Jamal. So far, there are six more cases to be investigated against Jamal, on top of three cases that he was charged with at the Ampang Puteri Hospital on May 25,” Fadzil said.

Jamal was arrested on May 22 in connection with a firearms investigation. He checked himself into the hospital for a back pain when he was released. He went missing on May 25.

Jamal was still in police custody at that time as the authorities were processing bail documents. Bail was set at RM3,000 (US$753) for each of the three charges.

Advertisement

Advertisement

He did not turn up at the Ampang Jaya District Police headquarters on Wednesday to complete his bail process despite mentioning in a voice recording he released to the media in the previous day that he would be present.

In a seven-minute-long video which appeared to have been filmed in an oil palm plantation, Jamal once again said he would go to the police station to complete the documentation process but he hoped the police would give him some time.

He also claimed that there was a plan by certain "influential" quarters to take him down under any circumstances in spite of assurance from the police that he was only required to finish the documentation process.

“I am not denying the execution of the law against me. However, when my name was blacklisted by the Immigration Department and my name is in the police watchlist as though I am a dangerous person, according to the information I got, I will be arrested under an act where I cannot be released on bail," Jamal said in the video where he was seen wearing a T-shirt and black cap.

“The way the law is treating me as though I am not a citizen whose rights are protected by the Federal Constitution."

Jamal had been charged with causing public nuisance by smashing beer bottles in front of the Selangor government offices in October last year, in protest against a beer festival. He also faces two other charges for trespassing.

The public nuisance charge carries a maximum RM400 fine if convicted. The house-trespassing charges, however, carry a maximum three-year jail term and up to RM5,000 fine per conviction.



Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply