Contact Form

 

Joey Votto on Reds struggles: ‘This is the worst start I’ve ever seen’


Cincinnati Reds star Joey Votto says he’s disappointed by his team’s poor start and added that he takes it personally.

“We are not matching the efforts of the other ball clubs,” Votto said on the Yahoo Sports MLB Podcast.

The Reds, who sport a 14-28 record, are currently the worst team in the National League. Only the Kansas City Royals and Chicago White Sox own worse win percentages across baseball.

“I genuinely hope that we’re trending in the right direction, but this is the worst start I’ve ever seen,” Votto said during the interview, which was taped last week before the Reds pulled off a three-game sweep of the Los Angeles Dodgers. “If I’m not mistaken, it’s been noted in the past that this was historically one of the worst starts for this franchise. There are so many people that are losing interest in our organization — and deservedly so. It hasn’t been a fun time to be a Cincinnati Reds fan.”

A Swing and a Belt with Dan Shulman In this MLB and Toronto Blue Jays podcast, Dan Shulman takes a look at the human side of baseball. Because everyone in the game has a story.

The 34-year-old Toronto native was drafted by the Reds in 2002 and over his 12-year MLB career has blossomed into one of the greatest hitters of his generation. He has appeared in three post-seasons with the organization (2010, 2012, 2013) but never advanced past the division series.

“Not often does a player get to speak the way I’m speaking right now because my role is to do my job on the field and pretty much zip my lips, which makes sense,” Votto said. “But in the same breath, I’ve been with this franchise for, I think, 17 years now.

“You can say things are business, but to honest with you, I was a kid when I signed with this franchise, I take it personally. This is a personal thing to me. People inside of the organization in all likelihood are not going to enjoy my responses. But it’s been disappointing.”

Votto is currently signed to a 10-year, $225-million deal that expires following the 2023 season.

“I’m invested,” he said. “They offered me more money than anyone in their sane mind should ever spend. And they guaranteed me an incredible stretch of time that most professional athletes are never gifted. So, for me to say I did them some sort of favour, no, it was a very easy decision for me … Ultimately, I did sign here … And I do connect with the team.”


Cincinnati Reds all-star Joey Votto has penned an apology after saying in a podcast on Tuesday that he doesn’t care about Canada, Canadian baseball or his hometown of Toronto.

Votto, who played for Canada at the 2009 and 2013 World Baseball Classics and won the Lou Marsh Award as Canada’s athlete of the year in 2010 and 2017, distanced himself from his home country in an interview with Yahoo! Sports Major League Baseball podcast.

“I don’t care almost at all about Canadian baseball,” said Votto, who was also the National League MVP in 2010. “I wasn’t raised inside of Canadian baseball really. I’m coming up on half of my life being in the United States working and being supported by American baseball.”

But in an email posted on the Canadian Baseball Network website after the Reds lost 5-3 to the San Francisco Giants Tuesday night, Votto said he is “terribly ashamed” of his comments and called them “ridiculously selfish and short-sighted.”

Toronto Blue Jays on Sportsnet NOW Livestream the Toronto Blue Jays, including Blue Jays Central pre-game. Plus, get every single game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, key Raptors & NBA Playoffs matchups and the 100th Mastercard Memorial Cup, all in one subscription.

Votto added: “I am saddened that I was so flagrant with my remarks and more importantly that I offended so many people that mean so much to me.”

Votto’s initial comments came after he was asked about James Paxton of Ladner, B.C., throwing his recent no-hitter for the Seattle Mariners against the Blue Jays in Toronto, becoming the first Canadian in MLB history to do so on home soil.

“As far as Toronto, and Canadian baseball, and the country of Canada, and (James Paxton) being Canadian, I don’t care at all,” said Votto. “(Paxton), or the Jays, or Canada, in general, may disagree with that, but I really couldn’t give a rat’s ass about that.”

Votto did clarify in the podcast that he was happy for Paxton as a baseball player, but not as a fellow Canadian.

In his apology, Votto said being asked about baseball in Canada, the Blue Jays and the Paxton no-hitter recalled his resentment for not making Team Canada or being drafted by the Blue Jays out of high school and not being picked for the Olympic team while in the minors.

“Clearly my reply came out of a side of jealousy for a Canadian baseball athlete being celebrated in the city of Toronto. It was an odd reply and one I am terribly ashamed of,” he wrote.

“I go back to Toronto each off-season and feel renewed every time I cross the border to my home and native land. I would not be where I am now without the efforts of so many Canadian baseball people and the fans of Canadian baseball.

“To James Paxton, the Blue Jays, the Toronto fans, the women and men all across Canada that work so hard to promote and support Canadian baseball, I am sorry for my selfish comments and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.”


GP AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS 2018 Regular Season 42 149 18 43 5 0 6 23 28 27 1 0 .289 .412 .443 .855 Career 1472 5209 881 1629 349 17 263 853 1024 1114 73 29 .313 .428 .538 .965 Projected 158 561 68 162 19 0 23 87 105 102 4 0 .289 .412 .443 .855 *Career stats are updated nightly.




Cincinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto (19) smiles to the fans while in the on-deck circle in the first inning during a National League baseball game between the Milwaukee Brewers and the Cincinnati Reds, Tuesday, May 1, 2018, at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati. (Photo: Kareem Elgazzar)

SAN FRANCISCO — It was the earthquake, Joey Votto said. That’s what forced him out of the game.

“I was feeling pretty good and then that earthquake hit and all of a sudden everything got thrown off right around 7:18 p.m. in the middle of my first at-bat,” he said.

So he felt the earthquake?

“Oh, I got taken out of the game because of it, are you kidding me?” he deadpanned. “I’m a sensitive soul.”

There was a mild earthquake in San Francisco, and it happened during Votto’s first at-bat. Votto did leave Monday night’s game. But it was with a tightness in his lower back that forced him out the game -- and it was un-earthquake related.

“It just kind of cropped up on him and became more and more uncomfortable,” Reds manager Jim Riggleman said. “He let me know before the game it was nagging a little bit. He insisted ‘I want to play.’ He just wasn’t going to be able to run real hard. When the left fielder missed the ball on his single, he kind of had to turn it up a little bit and go and really looked uncomfortable. We decided to get him out of there.”

The fact that Votto joked about after the game tells you that the back issue is not too severe, although Reds Riggleman said Votto might get Tuesday off.

Votto left the game in the fourth inning. Adam Duvall, 2-for-2 with a three-run homer, replaced Votto.

Votto dropped that theory, too.

“I think Jim sensed that Duvall would have a really good game and he just benched me after that,” Votto said. “I was like 'ah, that earthquake wore me out a little bit, OK, that's enough, let's get Duvall in.' He bet right, so... we'll see.

Finally, Votto did allow that he doesn’t think it’s serious.

“I feel fine,” he said.

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply