Contact Form

 

Lynn Bowles feels ‘guilty’ about leaving BBC Radio 2 after 18 years


Lynn Bowles with Ken Bruce (Picture: BBC2)

Lynn Bowles is hanging up her weather presenting hat after 18 years on BBC Radio 2.

Saying goodbye on the Chris Evans breakfast show today, Bowles’ bulletins have helped listeners avoid travel disruptions for nearly two decades.

But earlier this month, she announced that she is leaving the station for pastures new, at the age of 55.

So why is she leaving and where is she going?

Radio 2 travel presenter Lynn Bowles is leaving the station, but why? (Picture: Emilie Sandy)

Lynn, who was born in Cardiff and joined the station in 2000, is leaving the station because she is retiring from national radio.

However the presenter, dubbed ‘Totty from Splotty’ (a reference to her Welsh roots) by Sir Terry Wogan, will keep presenting her live Saturday show, airing at 2pm, on BBC Radio Wales.

Lynn has worked with Ken Bruce for 18 years, and he described her departure as ‘a sad day for us all’.

Lynn with Radio 2 DJ Ken Bruce (Picture: BBC)

In her statement she said: ‘After 18 long years of my alarm clock waking me at 4am, it’s time to destroy it with some heavy machinery.

Advertisement

Advertisement

‘During my time at BBC Radio 2 I’ve done my best to make Ken Bruce acceptable to polite society. I’m not entirely sure I have been successful in my endeavours.

It's with a heavy heart that today we announce, after 18 fantastic years, @realLynnBowles is leaving Radio 2. 😢@realkenbruce has been with her from the beginning… pic.twitter.com/k1lUDVLlBr — BBC Radio 2 (@BBCRadio2) March 16, 2018

‘Working with Sir Terry Wogan was a joy. I was inducted into the practice of eating curries and full Christmas dinners early in the mornings.

‘Luckily for me the madness continued when Chris Evans took over the Breakfast Show.

*Taps mic* Hello is this on? I have a small announcement.

After 275 years at @bbcradio2 I am leaving. There is not enough space here to say everything I would wish. Apart, of course, from my debt of gratitude to the BBC and all those with whom I have worked xx — Lynn Bowles (@RealLynnBowles) March 16, 2018

‘I’d like to thank Radio 2 and all the fabulously informative motorists and truckers who have allowed me to do my bit trying to keep traffic moving around the UK.’

She added: ‘I’m looking forward to seeing a little less of the M4, and a little more of my home territory of Wales in the future.

‘I’d like to thank Radio 2 and all the fabulously informative motorists and truckers who have allowed me to do my bit trying to keep traffic moving around the UK.’

I'll be with @RealKenBruce in Glasgow for the games. I'll be happy to help carry all those medals. pic.twitter.com/MPuEBqo8VV — Lynn Bowles (@RealLynnBowles) June 4, 2014

Lynn’s last day at Radio 2 is today, Thursday 29 March. She will continue presenting her Radio Wales show on Sundays.

MORE: Who is in the Homeland cast and how many episodes are there in season 7?

MORE: What is tofu?


Lynn Bowles is leaving BBC Radio 2 after 18 years (Picture: BBC)

Lynn Bowles waves goodbye to her BBC Radio 2 slot today – and she has admitted she is feeling pretty guilty about it.

Bowles has presented the weather on Ken Bruce’s BBC Radio 2 show for 18 years

But today, on Thursday 29 March, she leaves it all behind her – and she’s admitted she feels a little guilty about it.

Speaking to Radio Times, Lynn, 55, said: ‘People have been saying “Mourning Thursday”. So now I’m feeling like a bad person.’

It comes after Sir Terry Wogan’s naughty nickname for her was revealed as ‘Totty from Spotty’, referencing the area of Cardiff she was born in.

Of her moniker, she insisted: ‘It was just how we were on that show.

It's with a heavy heart that today we announce, after 18 fantastic years, @realLynnBowles is leaving Radio 2. 😢@realkenbruce has been with her from the beginning… pic.twitter.com/k1lUDVLlBr — BBC Radio 2 (@BBCRadio2) March 16, 2018

‘It was entirely innocent. I took part because I was very young in comparison to the fellows on there.

Advertisement

Advertisement

‘It was dearly meant and they treated me like a younger sister.’

Lynn admitted the reason she is quitting after nearly two decades has something to do with her 4am wake-up calls and being ‘a bit tired’.

*Taps mic* Hello is this on? I have a small announcement.

After 275 years at @bbcradio2 I am leaving. There is not enough space here to say everything I would wish. Apart, of course, from my debt of gratitude to the BBC and all those with whom I have worked xx — Lynn Bowles (@RealLynnBowles) March 16, 2018

She revealed she was quitting BBC Radio 2 earlier this month, writing on Twitter: ‘*Taps mic* Helly is this on? I have a small announcement.

‘After 275 years at @bbcradio2 I am leaving. There is not enough space where to say everything I would wish. Apart, of course, from my debt of gratitude to the BBC and all those with whom I have worked.’

However the presenter, dubbed ‘Totty from Splotty’ (a reference to her Welsh roots) by Sir Terry Wogan, will keep presenting her live Saturday show, airing at 2pm, on BBC Radio Wales.

MORE: Lynn Bowles age, height, husband, net worth and why she is leaving BBC Radio 2

MORE: Why is Lynn Bowles leaving Radio 2?


Lynn, 55, has been a stalwart of the BBC radio show for 18 years.

However, she has now decided it is time to leave after setting her alarm for four in the morning everyday.

As she took part in her last ever show the BBC with Chris, the presenter tried to make the veteran travel expert stick around a bit longer.

He explained how it was Lynn’s last day and as such the show would be dedicated to her.

But cheeky Chris explained: “So she says… Still working on that!”


The 55-year-old broadcaster, who is leaving her post at BBC Radio 2 after 18 years, joined host Chris, 51, in the studio to give her iconic traffic reports for the last time today.

In the midst of presenter Chris' pleas that Lynn stay, Moira Stewart, 68, also chimed in and revealed her disappointment at the traffic reporter's decision to leave.

As Chris urged her to help him convince Lynn not to go, she insisted hopelessly: “I could beg and plead…"

“I’ve actually ambushed her in her little office,” Moira admitted.

“And she just said, ‘Go away, I’m not interested.

“‘I’m leaving — probably your fault,’” she continued, teasing that Lynn had in fact opted to quit because of her.

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply