Contact Form

 

Devastated Steve Smith breaks down during apology for ball tampering scandal


Former Australia cricket captain Steve Smith broke down in tears during a press conference after apologising for the ball-tampering scandal that has resulted in him being banned from international cricket for a year.

Smith was part of a three-man plan to cheat during the third Test against South Africa last weekend, with vice-captain David Warner being blamed by Cricket Australia for orchestrating the incident that lead to young batsman Cameron Bancroft rubbing sandpaper on the ball in an illegal attempt to artificially produce reverse swing.

Having been caught on television cameras, Bancroft attempted to hide the sandpaper down his trousers, and after a full investigation was carried out by Cricket Australia, all three players have been banned from international and state cricket – both Smith and Warner received one-year bans while Bancroft was handed a nine-month suspension.

Cricketer Cameron Bancroft seen with object while handling the ball

Smith flew back from Johannesburg to Sydney on Thursday and held a press conference soon after his arrival, in which he gave a tearful statement before inviting questions from the media.

"I know I will regret this for the rest of my life. I am absolutely gutted. I'm sorry and I'm absolutely devastated,” Smith said.

"To my knowledge this has never happened before. This is the first time I've seen this happen and I can assure you it will never happen again.

"I don't blame anyone. I'm the captain of the Australian team, it's on my watch and I take responsibility for what happened in Cape Town last Saturday.

"I know I'll regret this for the rest of my life, I'm absolutely gutted. I hope in time I can earn back respect and forgiveness.

Steve Smith broke down in tears after apologising for the Australia ball-tampering scandal (Getty)

"I've been so privileged and honoured to represent my country and captain Australia. Cricket is the greatest game in the world and it's been my life - I hope it can be again. I'm absolutely devastated."

Already emotional, Smith began to tear up as the media began asking him questions surrounding the incident, and when asked what message he would send to children who aspire to be an international cricket player, Smith started to answer before completely breaking down.

"I'll say two things... three things. Firstly, I'm deeply sorry, I love the game of cricket, I love entertaining young kids, I love kids wanting to play the great game of cricket that I love.

"The two other things is: any time you think about making a questionable decision, think about who you're affecting. You're affecting your parents and to see the way my old man's been... it hurts."

Smith did not react well to referencing the affect that the incident has had on his parents (Getty)

The reference to his parents triggered Smith to pause and start crying again, before he added: "I can't remember what else."

"I just want to say I'm sorry for the pain that I guess I've brought to Australia and the fans and the public. It's devastating and I'm truly sorry."

Smith’s tearful appearance came after Bancroft held a press conference of his own in Perth to apologise for his actions and decisions, and also to admit that he lied in his initial press conference last Saturday when he said that he had rubbed sticky tape covered in dirt on the ball and not sandpaper, as it transpired to be.

Warner also issued a statement to apologise for his actions that he admitted were a “stain on the game”, although the former vice-captain posted it on Twitter rather than hold a press conference like his two teammates.

An emotional Smith said that the scandal will live with him for the rest of his life (Getty)

While many called for all three players to be banned, the length and severity of the suspensions has triggered some surprise and sympathy in the cricket world. Both Smith and Warner have lost their places in the Indian Premier League this season after organisers decided to kick them out of the competition, while Bancroft is unlikely to be able to play for Somerset in this year’s county championship season.

The Australian Cricketers’ Association [ACA] has also weighed in on the matter by claiming that Cricket Australia’s investigation process displayed a number of “glaring and clear anomalies” and questioned the decision to put Bancroft and Smith up in front of the media so soon after the incident took place – although others believe that it was right for the players involved to front up and take responsibility for what they had done.

"It is right that these mistakes are sanctioned, and that must occur in a fair and proper way,” the ACA said in a statement.

"The national game we all love must always demonstrate standards and behaviours consistent with both the rules, and the spirit, of cricket.

The former Australia captain struggled to answer questions from the media (Getty)

"And the game must be supported by rigorous and fair processes.

"There are a number of glaring and clear anomalies in the process to date which causes the ACA to query the severity and proportionality of the proposed sanctions."

All three players have a week to appeal the bans if they believe that they do not represent a fair punishment for the offences committed, meaning that any decision must be taken by next Wednesday.

Follow the Independent Sport on Instagram here, for all of the best images, videos and stories from around the sporting world.


Former Australia captain Steve Smith broke down as he faced the media following the ball tampering scandal against South Africa last weekend that cost him his Australian captaincy. Smith expressed his sorrow and regret for the incident that has already seen the batsmen receive a 12-month ban from cricket Australia

Devastated Smith sorry for role in ball-tampering scandal


Steve Smith, struggling to contain his emotions and at one point breaking down completely, faced the cameras for the first time since being stripped of the Australian cricket captaincy to issue a heartfelt apology for his role in the ball tampering affair that has rocked the sport.

Australia coach Darren Lehmann quits in wake of ball-tampering scandal Read more

Having been handed a 12-month ban and been sent home from South Africa by Cricket Australia, a devastated Smith touched down in Sydney on Thursday night and faced the music shortly afterwards in a highly-charged airport press conference room.

He repeatedly stated how “deeply sorry” he was for his actions, a sentiment Cameron Bancroft had expressed earlier in the evening when he landed in Perth and fronted the media. David Warner, the third of the trio charged with ball tampering in the third Test in Cape Town, was also on his way back to Sydney, although he was not expected to face the media. Instead he issued a statement on social media en route, admitting such behaviour was a “stain on the game”.

Smith said that, as captain of the team, he took full responsibility for what happened on the pitch in Cape Town and refused to lay blame at anyone else’s door, deflecting a question about his relationship with Warner.

“I made a serious error of judgment and I take the consequences,” he said. “It was a failure of my leadership. I will do everything to make up for my mistake and the damage it has caused. If it can be a lesson for others, I hope I can be a force for change. Cricket is the greatest game in the world. It’s my life and I hope it can be again.”

He broke down completely as he spoke of the impact the affair had had on his parents over the last few days, and was ushered out of the room soon after.

Warner, who was identified by Cricket Australia as the architect of the events that unfolded during the third Test in Cape Town, where the three players conspired to alter the state of the ball with sandpaper, had earlier made his first public comments since also being stripped of the vice-captaincy and banned for 12 months.

Addressing “cricket fans in Australia and all over the world”, he wrote: “Mistakes have been made which have damaged cricket. I apologise for my part and take responsibility for it. I understand the distress this has caused the sport and its fans.

“It’s a stain on the game we all love and I have loved since I was a boy. I need to take a deep breath and spend time with my family, friends and trusted advisors.”

Warner was not expected to immediately face the media after he suggested in his message that he intends to lie low for immediate future. “You will hear from me in a few days,” he wrote.

Play Video 0:58 Cricket Australia CEO: Cheating is an appropriate word to use – video

Bancroft, the player caught by television cameras holding the smoking gun – the yellow piece of sandpaper – and the third Australian to be sanctioned following the affair, flew into Perth.

Visibly emotional, the young opener, who was handed a nine-month ban, apologised and asked for forgiveness. “I want to say that I’m very sorry,” he said. “I’m very disappointed and I regret my actions. It is something I will regret for the rest of my life.

“The thing that breaks my heart the most is that I’ve given up my spot in the team for free. People know I worked so hard to get to this point in my career and to have given up that chance for free is devastating.

“I lied about the sandpaper. I panicked in that situation and I’m very sorry.”

Asked if he was pushed into tampering with the ball, he said: “I’m not going to comment about other players involved. They are my actions and I’m accountable. They don’t reflect my values. It’s something I’m ashamed of.

“Through this whole experience it’s been so obvious to see how important cricket is in Australia and to the public. I have never ever been involved in tampering with a ball [before]. It completely compromises my standards and values as a player.”

As part of the severe sanctions delivered by Cricket Australia, Warner was told he will never again be considered for a role in the team’s leadership group, and there are doubts whether he will even represent his country again amid reports of a rift between him and the rest of the squad.

But there remains the possibility of an appeal for all three players, with the Australian Cricketers’ Association voicing concerns over the way in which CA handled the case.

“There are a number of glaring and clear anomalies in the process to date which causes the ACA to query the severity and proportionality of the proposed sanctions,” an ACA statement read.

Magellan terminates deal with Cricket Australia as personal sponsors pull plug Read more

The trio are already beginning to pay a financial price for their actions though and on Thursday, sportswear manufacturer Asics dumped Warner and Bancroft as brand ambassadors, following in the footsteps of electronics giant LG, which did not renew its deal with Warner the previous day.

Smith’s deals with Commonwealth Bank and Sanitarium, which makes the breakfast cereal Weet-Bix, were also ended.

The scandal has also hit Cricket Australia in the pocket, with naming rights sponsor Magellan pulling out of a major deal as naming rights sponsor on Thursday.

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply