Contact Form

 

Jennifer Lawrence naked scenes for Red Sparrow were 'actual nightmare'


Jennifer Lawrence’s life changed in 2014 when hackers stole a trove of the actress’s private nude photographs and published them — along with the private photos of several other actresses — on the message board 4chan.

“When the hacking thing happened, it was so unbelievably violating that you can’t even put it into words,” Lawrence told the Hollywood Reporter. “… There’s not one person in the world that is not capable of seeing these intimate photos of me. You can just be at a barbecue and somebody can just pull them up on their phone. That was a really impossible thing to process.”

Since then, she’s generally avoided taking roles that require sex or nude scenes. As she told W magazine, “I’ve always been like, ‘Absolutely no way’ — especially after what happened — ‘no way am I ever going to do anything sexual.’”

But then she read the script for “Red Sparrow,” a movie that hits theaters Friday. It features Lawrence as a Russian ballerina attending a sort of spy school, where she trains to become an intelligence agent who often uses her sexuality to achieve her goals.

The role required a good bit of nudity, something Lawrence had to come to terms with, as she discussed with Bill Whitaker on “60 Minutes” on Sunday.

Lawrence’s discomfort around scenes featuring sex and nudity is well documented. Before filming her first real sex scene with Chris Pratt in the 2016 film “Passengers,” Lawrence got “really, really drunk” to calm her nerves, she has said. She was uncomfortable because Pratt was married in real life. It wasn’t a great decision.

The drinking “led to more anxiety when I got home because I was like, ‘What have I done? I don’t know,’” she said at a roundtable discussion hosted by the Hollywood Reporter in 2015. “I knew it was my job, but I couldn’t tell my stomach that.”

Being drunk for the entirety of “Red Sparrow” wasn’t an option. So she focused on what bothered her about appearing naked on screen: the fact that the choice to be seen nude had previously been taken from her when her private photos leaked.

“I read this script that I’m dying to do, and the one thing that’s getting in my way is nudity,” Lawrence told Whitaker. “And I realized there’s a difference between consent and not.”

That isn’t to say it was easy.

“The night before, I didn’t sleep at all and I was obviously really nervous because it is the actual nightmare of standing in front of a classroom naked,” she told Today Australia.

It didn’t help that in one scene, freezing water is poured on her bare skin.

“I was terrified. I don’t think I have ever been so scared of doing a movie before in my life. It was a lot of firsts for me,” she said. “Cool, so I’m really naked getting freezing cold water poured on me.”

Regardless of her fear, as she told Whitaker, “I showed up for the first day, and I did it.”

She said that she “felt empowered” by filming the nude scenes, as if she’d regained part of herself.

“I feel like something that was taken from me I got back and am using in my art,” Lawrence said. “But I did feel like I took the power out of having my body taken from me. I felt like I took it back, and I could almost own it again.”

“Nudity by choice is a completely different thing from being violated,” she told Total Film. “This was my choice, and it was for my craft. It’s important to remember that there is a difference.”

[ ‘This is not feminism’: Jennifer Lawrence tells critics of her Versace dress to ‘get a grip’ ]

Lawrence was originally worried about how audiences would react. When she bared her breasts in Vanity Fair just weeks after the photo leak, some derided her and called her hypocritical.

And last week, the actress had to defend her choice to wear a Versace dress with a plunging neckline and thigh-high slit for a photo shoot in chilly London. She eventually decided she just didn’t care.

“It’s my body, and it’s my art, and it’s my choice,” Lawrence told Whitaker, adding, “And if you don’t like boobs, you should not go see ‘Red Sparrow.’”

More from Morning Mix:

The Weinstein Co. says it will file for bankruptcy after sale talks fall apart

Officials thought the three babies died of SIDS. Three decades later, police dug deeper.

While being held hostage, 99-year-old Utah woman scolds suspect for messing up her home

The Flamin’ Hot Cheetos movie: How a Frito-Lay janitor created one of America’s most popular snacks


Jennifer Lawrence has opened up on her Red Sparrow nude scenes (Picture: Twentieth Century Fox, Splash News)

Jennifer Lawrence might be one of the most confident movie stars in the world but she still has her insecure moments – namely, having to strip off naked for her new film Red Sparrow.

The star admitted she’d spent a sleepless night worrying about a particular scene in the film which she’d have to be starkers.

‘It was really scary to say es to the movie because I knew the only way to tell the story is if I agreed to really do the scenes and go full Monty,’ she told the Today show in Australia on Monday.

‘It took a while to say, “Yes”. And the night before I didn’t sleep at all and I was obviously really nervous because it is the actual nightmare of standing in front of a classroom naked.

‘But then after I finished the scene I felt empowered.’

The 27-year-old stars in the new film as Dominika Erogova, a Russian ballerina who is recruited into ‘sparrow school’, a Russian intelligence programme in which she trained in the art of seduction and sexual manipulation.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Erogova is sent on a mission to extract secrets from an American CIA agent (Joel Edgerton) but her growing feelings for him soon threatens the whole operation.

The film features scenes of torture, during which the actress has freezing water poured on her body – and Jen admits she’d never been so scared of making a film before in her life.

She said: ‘I was terrified. I don’t think I have ever been so scared of doing a movie before in my life. It was a lot of firsts for me.

‘I was getting water poured on myself. I kept asking for it to be heated up. They said, “No, because then it will steam”.

‘”Cool, so I’m really naked getting freezing cold water poured on me”,’ she joked.

Some of Jen’s worry no doubt stems from the 2014 hacking scandal, which saw the actress become the most targeted star in an iCloud hack, with many intimate pictures of the star – and others including Jennifer, Kirsten Dunst, Kate Upton and Amber Heard – leaked online.

She admitted in November 2017 that she was ‘still processing’ the hack.

This is such a quietly depressing (and revealing) image. Not least because I've been outside today and it's bloody FREEZING. pic.twitter.com/BRnmgKJ5wY — Helen Lewis (@helenlewis) February 20, 2018

The star recently hit out at those who criticised her for not pairing a slinky Versace dress with coat at a photocall in London with her red sparrow cast mates last week.

Many thought the picture of her in the strappy dress whilst the men wore coats was ‘sexist’, but Jen called their claims of sexism sexist in itself.

On her official Facebook page, Jennifer wrote: ‘Wow. I don’t really know where to get started on this “Jennifer Lawrence wearing a revealing dress in the cold” controversy. This is not only utterly ridiculous, I am extremely offended.

‘That Versace dress was fabulous, you think I’m going to cover that gorgeous dress up with a coat and a scarf? I was outside for 5 minutes. I would have stood in the snow for that dress because I love fashion and that was my choice.’

Got a story? If you've got a story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk Entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page - we'd love to hear from you.

MORE: Jennifer Lawrence laments her friendship with Kim Kardashian might be a little ‘one-sided’

MORE: Jennifer Lawrence reveals she dropped out of school at the age of 14


I remember Ian Aitken (Obituary, 23 February) from Tribune rallies in the 70s. Neil Kinnock’s appeal for money at these events was compelling, but a great help to him was Aitken’s response, raising his hand with, if memory serves me, a £20 note in it, a huge sum to most of the audience. They could scarcely be mean after that. A wonderful, loyal supporter.

Dilys Carter

Alnwick, Northumberland

• Re the photo of Jennifer Lawrence and her Red Sparrow co-stars (Eyewitnessed, 23 February), is it #MeToo (a black dress) or is it Le Déjeuner sur l’herbe (fully clothed men and one female exposing an expanse of flesh)? Have we moved on or haven’t we? I’m confused.

Hazel Sutcliffe

Holmes Chapel, Cheshire

• The maths teacher at my boarding school (circa 1959) lost her temper two or three times per lesson. She would fling chalk or, worse, the wooden board rubber, at a pupil, so hard that her body would swing sideways – she was quite out of control. How would we have fared had she possessed an assault rifle (Arm staff to end school shootings, says Trump, 22 February)?

Priscilla James

Stoke-by-Clare, Suffolk

• Give teachers guns? Most of us struggle with staplers.

Dorothy Granville

Middlesbrough

• In Hull in the 60s, we remembered our trigonometry with “Send Old Harry Cod And Herring Trawling Off America” (Letters, 24 February). I’ve just realised it was a local mnemonic.

Alison Evans

Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

• At a boys’ grammar school in the 60s we were taught about an island in the Sea of Algebra called Sohcahtoa.

Gerald Milch

London

• Join the debate – email guardian.letters@theguardian.com

• Read more Guardian letters – click here to visit gu.com/letters

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply