Contact Form

 

Hip-Hop Reacts to Death of Fredo Santana


Get celebs updates directly to your inbox + Subscribe Thank you for subscribing! Could not subscribe, try again later Invalid Email

Fredo Santana's cause of death has been reported a day after the Chicago-born rapper died at the age of 27.

The Trapping Ain't Dead star passed away at his Los Angeles home on Friday night and was reportedly found by his girlfriend - thought to be the mother of his baby son Legend - lifeless on the floor.

According to TMZ, Fredo suffered a massive seizure and was dead when his girlfriend discovered him at around 11.30pm, as family members told the site.

No official cause of death has yet been confirmed, and there has been no public statement from LA police or the LA Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner.

(Image: Instagram)

His death came weeks after Fredo - real name Derrick Coleman - was rushed to hospital with kidney and liver failure in October 2017, prompting him to tell fans he wanted to "slow down" and stop "getting high" as a way to face his demons.

He revealed from his hospital bed that he was thinking of going to rehab for treatment, which many fans believed was a reference to his cough syrup addiction.

Fredo was a user of sizzurp, also known as lean and purple drank, which is a prescription-strength concoction of codeine and promethazine that together make the user feel dazed and high.

In high dosage, it is linked to liver failure and seizure.

(Image: Instagram)

(Image: Instagram)

"Been in here since Friday doctor say a n***a had kidney failure an liver failure," he'd told Instagram followers after his terrifying hospital dash last October.

As a result, he said, a highly anticipated collaboration with his younger cousin Chief Keef - called Turbo Bandana - would be delayed.

"Thanks for everyone who prayed for a n***a I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy," he added.

The rapper continued: "Hopefully I can be the face to sho n***as to slow down an we got our whole life ahead of us f*k being rock stars gettin high I got ptsd.

(Image: Instagram/Fredo Santana)

"I was running from my old life tryna get high didn't want to face them demons...I'm getting help I might just go to rehab."

Fredo welcomed his first child, baby son Legend, last June, but days after his birth was posting Instagram pictures of cough syrup - prompting worried fans to tell him he had other things to focus on.

"Now u got a baby man.... get clean and be a responsible parent," one wrote on his Instagram.

"Leave that drank alone brah," said another.

(Image: Instagram/Fredo Santana)

(Image: Instagram/Fredo Santana)

And a third told him: "Fredo. are you still sippin lean?i'm really worry about health."

Three months before that, in March 2017, Fredo was rushed to hospital with a seizure.

He blamed it on his heavy workload and lack of sleep, although many fans were sceptical about the true cause of his health problem.

"When u working hard no sleep u get sleep deprived an have a light seizure," Fredo had captioned a picture of him in hospital at the time.

(Image: Instagram)

(Image: Instagram)

The rapper had made no secret of his lean consumption, frequently posting pictures of cough syrup in the background of house parties or holding a tell-tale double polystyrene cup in social media snaps.

Fredo even promoted his record label Savage Squad Record's own range of polystyrene cup, branded with their logo. On the label's website, the $20 cups are pictured filled to the brim with a purple liquid.

Lean - which was also blamed for multiple seizures suffered by Lil Wayne in 2016 - is not illegal, although the withdrawal effects can be grim when it's been consumed in high volume over a long period of time.


Rapper Fredo Santana passed away at age 27 due to a fatal seizure.

The Chicago born rapper, also known as Derrick Coleman, was found unresponsive on the floor by his girlfriend around 11:30 pm on Friday, according to TMZ.

Family members told the sire that Fredo was inside his Los Angeles home when the incident took place.

Scroll down for video

Respect: Rapper Fredo Santana passed away at age 27 due to a fatal seizure

Santana has been linked to some of the biggest names in hip hop, including his cousin Chief Keef.

Early Saturday, rapper Drake sent his condolences as he posted a throwback photo with Fredo on his Instagram.

The God's Plan artist wrote: 'Rest In Peace Santana' along with three frowning emojis.

Although Fredo will be undergoing an autopsy to pinpoint his cause of death, it appears the Trappin Ain't Dead star suffered from kidney and liver failure last October.

His pride and joy: The Chicago born rapper, also known as Derrick Coleman, was found unresponsive on the floor by his girlfriend around 11:30 p.m. Friday

The 27-year-old was rushed to the emergency room last year as a result of lean usage, according to XXL Magazine. After being hospitalized, Fredo contemplated attending rehab.

He wrote on his Twitter account: 'Hopefully I can be the face to sho n****s to slow down an we got our whole life ahead of us f**k being rock stars gettin high I got ptsd.'

'I was running from my old life tryna get high didn't want to face them demons...I'm getting help I might just go to rehab.'

The family: Fredo leaves behind his girlfriend and 8-month-old son, Legend

Fredo leaves behind his girlfriend and 8-month-old son, Legend.

Since his passing Fredo's father, who goes by the nickname Big Shug, has paid tribute to his rapper son on social media.

Posting a photo of Fredo as a young child, he wrote: 'I don't know where to begin, I'm a father of 6, not the best father in the world but i have always been there.

Heartbroken: Since his passing Fredo's father, who goes by the nickname Big Shug, has paid tribute to his rapper son on social media

'Now Derrick was my second born named after my mentor my oldest brother, this is truly coming from my heart for I'm a lost for words.

'I wanna thank my wife for picking up of the floor cause I couldn't stand, I wanna thank my family for showing what we are about, next I would like thank my sons true friends in the industry for showing your support, & next I did not know the magnitude of souls & hearts my son had reached until today.'

Adding: 'I wanna thank all the fans,friends & family that I just couldn't reach personally, thank y'all for everything.'


The rap world lost another one on Friday (Jan. 19), as Chicago rapper Fredo Santana died at the age of 27, and the passing has left rappers who were friends with and admirers of the late MC like Chief Keef , Drake , Lil Durk , Young Chop and more in shock.

According to reports , Fredo may have suffered a fatal seizure in his Los Angeles home late last night. The death may be related to the rapper's previous diagnosis of kidney and liver failure . Last October, he went to the hospital for the issues, a possible result of his lean usage, and shared the experience with fans on social media. "Been in here since Friday doctor say a nigga had kidney failure an liver failure," he wrote on Instagram. "Thanks for everyone who prayed for a nigga I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy."

Fredo later seemed to be in better spirits, and even contemplated going to rehab and being an example for the younger generation. "Hopefully I can be the face to sho niggas to slow down an we got our whole life ahead of us fuck being rock stars gettin high I got ptsd," he opened up to fans on Twitter a few days later. "I was running from my old life tryna get high didn't want to face them demons...I'm getting help I might just go to rehab."

His death has many in the hip-hop world shaken. A number of rappers have offered condolences to Fredo via social media. Houston's Maxo Kream was one of the first rappers to pay homage, posting a picture of Fredo on Instagram and captioning the photo, "Damn man I’m lost for words right now I’m cryin my ass off Fredo I love yu Bitch RIP a real Savage 💙."

A$AP Mob's A$AP Nast was really touched by the sad news. "My dawg for life I’m hurt on everything 😪😤 sending my condolences and soo much positive energy to you’re Love one’s most importantly your son bless up to you’re entire family sleep in peace king #fredosantana," he wrote on IG.

See what other rappers like Lil Pump , Twista , Fat Trel , OG Maco , Trippie Redd and more had to say below.


(CNN) Rapper Fredo Santana has died in Los Angeles, a family member and the Los Angeles County Coroner's office said Saturday. He was 27.

Santana, whose real name was Derrick Coleman, died at his residence in the Reseda neighborhood around 11 p.m. Friday, said Lt. David Smith, a spokesman for the coroner's office.

Smith said the autopsy for the Chicago-born Santana was pending.

Santana was the cousin of Chief Keef (real name Keith Cozart), the best known of the young generation of Chicago rappers to have emerged on the music scene in recent years.

Read More

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply