Contact Form

 

Former WWE Tough Enough Winner Matt Cappotelli Dies at Age 38


Former WWE star Matt Cappotelli has died after a year-long battle with cancer. He was 38.

Cappotelli was diagnosed with a brain tumor on June 27, 2017, according to a blog post written by his wife Lindsey Cappotelli.

Lindsey shared the news of her husband’s death on Friday in a Facebook group dedicated to him.

“Hey Team Capp…I’ve been struggling with what to say and how to say this, and I’ll probably end up rambling, but here goes,” she wrote.

WWE

“Today my love-my strong, sweet, beautiful love-took his last breath at 3:30 a.m. and went Home to be with Jesus…exactly one year after his brain surgery,” she continued. “You think you can be prepared for this when you know it’s coming, but you just can’t. The only person whose comfort I want right now is the one who can’t give it to me.”

“I miss him so much,” she added. “I know where he is now is so much better, but it doesn’t change how much I miss him.”

Matt, who also starred on the third season of WWE’s Tough Enough reality show, previously had a brain tumor about 11 years ago and was regularly screened every year, Lindsey wrote in her blog.

The former wrestler had undergone an MRI in February 2017, but in June of that year he began to suffer from headaches and “seizure activity,” she wrote.

Matt Cappotelli WWE

When the two went into the doctor’s office together, they were heartbroken by Matt’s diagnosis.

“Dr. Yao, the brain surgeon, came to our room to discuss things more with us and give us our options,” Lindsey wrote. “He explained that the tumor was of significant size and that he was shocked at how fast it had grown in the 4 months since Matt’s February MRI.”

The couple was told that without surgery it would not be clear what type of tumor Matt had, although Glioblastoma was a possibility.

“That was the first time I had ever heard that word. In his words, that was the “worst case” scenario,” Lindsey wrote. “If it was GBM, and Matt chose not to have surgery or chemotherapy, he would only have about a month to live. Then he said that even with surgery and treatment, it’s usually about 6 months.”

Matt underwent the surgery on June 29, 2017, and while his surgeon was able to remove 90 percent of the tumor, results confirmed he had grade 4 Glioblastoma.

“That was an extremely emotional day for us. As is to be expected when you hear something like this, we had our moment of crying with each other,” Lindsey wrote. “I remember standing in the kitchen, in his arms, me crying and him crying, and me saying that I couldn’t lose him, I couldn’t live without him.”

He began oral chemotherapy, but his symptoms grew worse. After getting the flu in December, he was hospitalized and “really never walked again.”

“Throughout all of this, Matt and I really never discussed death,” Lindsey wrote. “A part of me wishes that we had, but I just never wanted to make him think that I didn’t think he would make it. Because I still had hope, and I didn’t want him to give up hope.”

“I just love this man so freaking much. He’s my “person”. He’s the one I wanted to be with forever,” she continued. “He’s the one I wanted to grow old with. I wanted him to be my whole life, not just a part of my life.”

“So many times I’ve wished that it were me going through this. I would trade places with him in an instant,” she added. “I always told him that I wanted to die before him because I just didn’t think I could survive without him, but I knew that he’d be okay without me. If you would’ve asked what my worst nightmare was, it would be losing him. So many times I’ve asked myself, how can this be happening? I can’t believe this is really happening. But it is. And this is part of life. People get cancer and people die. We can’t do anything about that, but we can control how we respond to these circumstances and how we allow God to work in us and through us. I can already see the growth and change in me.”

She concluded, “It sucks to go through something like this, but I know God is working and moving. All the both of us want is for Him to be glorified. As Jesus said in John 12: 28, Father, bring glory to Your name.”


FORMER WWE star Matt Cappotelli has died aged 38 after batting brain cancer.

His wife Lindsay broke the news on Facebook and tributes have begun to flood in.

Lindsay Cappotelli Facebook

She wrote: "Today my love - my strong, sweet, beautiful love - took his last breath at 3:30am and went home to be with Jesus... exactly one year after his brain surgery.

"You think you can be prepared for this when you know it's coming, but you just can't.

"The only person whose comfort I want right now is the one who can't give it to me. I miss him so much.

"I know where he is now is so much better, but it doesn't change how much I miss him."

Instagram, @lindsaycappotelli Matt Cappotelli has passed away after a brave fight with brain cancer

MOST READ IN SPORT 'I'm proud' MLS ace Collin Martin announces he is gay as he breaks the mould in US sport bohemian rapsody Celtic vs Bohemians Prague: Live stream, TV channel, time and team news Shine bright like a diamond Who is Caroline Wozniacki's fiance David Lee? In Rod we trust Jack Rodwell talks with Bolton after finishing disastrous Sunderland spell RED OR BLACK Top Tipster Templegate's best bets for ITV's racing this Saturday WILDER'S HALF CUT Wilder wants 50-50 split as Hearn admits he doesn't like Povetkin for AJ ALL YOURS Liverpool will let Chester keep 100% of gate receipts for Naby Keita debut NO BRUCIE BONUS Bruce told Villa can't even afford free transfers as Xia aims to sell up Setting the pace Austrian Grand Prix 2018: Live stream, TV channel, start time, race info

In response to Lindsay's post, Chad Baker wrote: "You poor baby... praying so hard for you and Matt's family.

"If only every man on earth could feel the love that you have for your husband.

"You're a real one lindsay... you did everything right and neither one of you deserved this but I know you'll lean on God and i know God has got you.

"Wish I could take the pain away."

WWE Matt Cappotelli was a hugely popular athlete after winning his contract through Tough Enough

Instagram, @lindsaycappotelli Lindsay Cappotelli posted a touching tribute to her late husband

While Justin Bryant added: "Lindsay...I worked PXY in Rochester for almost a decade & left town about a year before Matt made TE.

"Was great to see a driven local talent make the most of his dreams in the ring. I'm very sorry to read of Matt's passing tonight.

"My thoughts are with you & your family."

MOST READ IN WORLD CUP ATTENTION South Koreans fear Son Heung-min and Co will be 'punished' with military service delph dash Fabian Delph dashes to England to join pregnant wife Natalie who is due Saturday Top Tie How to watch and live stream France vs Argentina for free hash of god? Clip of Maradona has fans joking he was dealing drugs at during Argentina game VARD AS NAILS Rebekah Vardy bashes Russian trolls who branded England World Cup WAGs 'ugly' SIN CITY Moscow newspaper columnist accuses Russian women of behaving like 'wh***s' WINE GLASS HORROR Brazil fan dies after slicing open THROAT on glass while celebrating win KNOCKOUT STAGE When is France vs Argentina, and what TV channel is it on? World Cup TV channels BBC and ITV reveal TV fixtures for every World Cup 2018 match CROCKED ROD Why was James Rodriguez taken off vs Senegal and what is latest on his injury?

Instagram, @lindsaycappotelli Matt Cappotelli was given the all clear in 2007 but the cancer returned

Cappotelli was initially diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2005 and was given the all clear in 2007.

But last year the cancer returned and he was forced to undergo emergency surgery.

The late wrestler said of the second diagnosis: "The first time, the cancer was a very slow-growing, grade 2 tumour.

"This time, it came back in a more aggressive and deadlier form, a grade 4 glioblastoma, which if you do any research on, it's not very pleasant to look at."


PHILIPPE HUGUEN/Getty Images

Matt Cappotelli, who won WWE's Tough Enough reality show competition in 2003, died at the age of 38 on Friday.

Cappotelli's wife, Lindsay, announced on Facebook her husband died one year after having brain surgery:

"Hey Team Capp...I've been struggling with what to say and how to say this, and I'll probably end up rambling, but here goes. Today my love-my strong, sweet, beautiful love-took his last breath at 3:30 a.m. and went Home to be with Jesus...exactly one year after his brain surgery. You think you can be prepared for this when you know it's coming, but you just can't. The only person who's comfort I want right now is the one who can't give it to me. I miss him so much. I know where he is now is so much better, but it doesn't change how much I miss him."

WWE chief brand officer Stephanie McMahon offered her condolences:

Cappotelli and John Morrison were named co-winners of Tough Enough III to earn WWE contracts.

Per WDRB's Gil Corsey, Cappotelli was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2017. He was previously diagnosed with the disease 12 years earlier as he was still training in WWE's development system at Ohio Valley Wrestling.

Cappotelli was OVW champion at the time of his diagnosis in 2005. He won the title from Johnny Jeter.


Get daily updates directly to your inbox + Subscribe Thank you for subscribing! Could not subscribe, try again later Invalid Email

Former WWE star Matt Cappotelli has died aged 38.

Cappotelli, who won WWE reality show Tough Enough, passed away on Friday after battling brain cancer.

His wife Lindsay announced the sad news on Facebook , writing: "Today my love - my strong, sweet, beautiful love - took his last breath at 3:30am and went home to be with Jesus... exactly one year after his brain surgery.

"You think you can be prepared for this when you know it's coming, but you just can't. The only person whose comfort I want right now is the one who can't give it to me. I miss him so much.

"I know where he is now is so much better, but it doesn't change how much I miss him."

Cappotelli had first been diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2005 before getting the all clear two years later.

However, last year he had to undergo emergency surgery after the cancer returned.

Speaking about the diagnosis, he said at the time: "The first time, the cancer was a very slow-growing, grade 2 tumour. This time, it came back in a more aggressive and deadlier form, a grade 4 glioblastoma, which if you do any research on, it's not very pleasant to look at."

He added that his message to others was "just that you have to fight for what you want. Life is the most precious gift we're given. If I can inspire others to not give up on the life they've been blessed to have, that's what I'm trying to spread - hope."

After the sad news was announced, members of the wrestling world took to social media to remember the 38-year-old.

"My first best friend in the wrestling business and to this day one of the best people I’ve ever known Matt Cappotelli has passed on. I’m gutted about this news.

"Matt inspired everyone around him especially me early in my career. He is loved and will be missed," John Morrison - who won the third seaon of WWE Tough Enough alongside him - wrote.

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply