Contact Form

 

Arsenal 5-0 Burnley live score and goal updates from Arsene Wenger's final home match as Gunners manager


Arsene Wenger has been speaking to Sky Sports reflecting on his time managing Arsenal.

On his final lap of honour: "It's very emotional it's the last time in such a long time and such a big love story, so of course we don't want to end it ideally, but everything comes to an end."

On reflecting on this season: "It's a season of contrast. It's maybe our best home season but it didn't end like we wanted it."

On what he does next: "I'm so much focused. You just focus and be robotic and think about the next game. It will take me some time to reconnect with myself and think about what I want to do."

On his best season: "As a manager the target is to get the best out of the team when you don't lose a game you think you can't get much better. You have to be honest with yourself and see where the team is."

On Sir Alex Ferguson: "I'm concerned because last week we were together i trust his strengths and optimistic character to get over that quickly."

On his achievements: "First of all I've been faithful to the values. I think over a long period is to deal with integrity team spirit and the values of the club."


Personally, I expect today will be dominated by sadness. It’s the end of a long story for me at Arsenal. But I will also feel grateful for having led this club - that I cherish so much - for such a long time.” “I tried to commit completely, for so many years, to make people happy and I wish just that people who love this club will be happy in the future and get what they really want and love.

“I’ve met people for whom I am the only Arsenal manager they have known, so now this is a good opportunity for the club to have new people and new ideas to continue to move the club forward, which is what I’ve tried to do my whole life.

“I’m proud that over the decades we could maintain an identification of players to the club. The players have a special attachment. Part of life as a player is to experience a special place, and that’s Arsenal.

“I’m not involved in who my successor will be, that’s not my job, but what I would say to him is that he should follow what he thinks is right for the club. I’ve been guided by that my whole life here.

“You have to think and act for the club like you own it. That’s the advice I’d give to him, you have to prepare to have that strength to fight every day to do the best possible for Arsenal.

“My final message is to the fans. Thank you very much for all your support down the years. Continue to stand behind and support the club that is so special to all of us. No matter what happens in the future, keep faith in what the club is going.

“Like you, I will continue to support Arsenal for the rest of my life.


Arsene Wenger will bring down the curtain on 22 years at Arsenal at the end of the season, and on Sunday will lead the side for the last time at home.

The visit of Burnley represents another chance for the Emirates Stadium to laud the manager who revolutionised both Arsenal and English football.

After the midweek loss at Atletico, the home faithful will be just as desperate as Wenger for the Gunners to get back to winning ways.

The Clarets meanwhile were ranked among the relegation favourites at the start of the campaign but are virtually assured of a seventh-placed finish and a first taste of European football in more than 50 years next season.

With two games to go they boast a six-point lead over Everton, who also need a 15-goal swing in their favour.

Arsenal: Cech, Bellerin, Chambers, Mavropanos, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Wilshere, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Aubameyang, Lacazette

Burnley: Pope, Lowton, Long, Tarkowski, Ward, Lennon, Cork, Hendrick, Westwood, Gudmundsson, Barnes

Follow all the action right here...


ES Football Newsletter Enter your email address Please enter an email address Email address is invalid Fill out this field Email address is invalid Email cannot be used. Try another or register with your social account

Arsene Wenger has bid an emotional farewell to Arsenal at his final home game.

Having overseen a 5-0 win over Burnley for a thumping end to his 606th home game in charge, Wenger was joined by club legends Bob Wilson and Pat Rice to sign off.

Rice, his former assistant, gave Wenger a special trophy to commemorate the 2003-04 'Invincibles' season before the Frenchman addressed the crowd to renditions of 'Only One Arsene Wenger'.

Wenger's speech at Emirates Stadium in full:

"Before I start I just want to say that at Arsenal we care and I would like to wish my fellow manager Ferguson well, very quickly.

"Thank you for having me for such a long time but above all, I'm like you - I'm an Arsenal fan.

"I will always be an Arsenal fan. It is what unites us in every cell of our body, those dreams and worries.

"I would like to thank everyone at the club who makes this club so special.

"This group of players has special quality, not only on the pitch, but off it too. Support them next season, because they deserve it.

"I will miss you. Thank you for being such an important part of my life. I hope to see you soon."

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply