Contact Form

 

Liam Neeson Recalls First Falling for Former Flame Helen Mirren: 'I Was Smitten'


Former couple Liam Neeson and Helen Mirren have nothing but love for each other.

The pair reunited during an appearance on The Graham Norton Show, where they opened up about their past romance.

“We didn’t date, we lived together for four years – we were a serious item for a while,” said Mirren. “Lucky me!”

The pair dated between 1980 and 1985 after meeting on the set of the 1991 fantasy film Excalibur.

PA Images/Sipa

Neeson, 65, admitted that it was love at first sight when it came to meeting Mirren, now 72.

“I remember being on the set and standing with Ciarán Hinds as Helen walked towards us dressed in her full Morgana Le Fey costume and we both went, ‘Oh f—,” he said. “I was smitten. I think Ciarán was too but I was very smitten!”

Warner Bros.

Mirren replied, “I never knew that. You’ve never told me that before – it’s amazing.”

The actor also joked about how he knew Mirren had a crush on him while filming.

“Before I met her and we worked together, I had read somewhere that if she fancied a guy she would imitate his walk behind his back and I turned around one day and she was doing that to me,” he said.

RELATED: Helen Mirren Would Love to do Another ‘Fast and Furious’ and Next Time She Wants to Drive

Mirren previously recalled to PEOPLE that her “favorite holidays were camping with Liam.” “We would drive down to France, find a campsite, and Liam would cook breakfast,” she said. “Can you imagine Liam in a tent? He’s 6’4″!”

Neeson went on to marry actress Natasha Richardson in 1994 until her unexpected death in 2009 after a skiing accident. Mirren has been married to director Taylor Hackford since 1997.

The Graham Norton Show airs Friday, Jan. 19, at 10:35 p.m. GMT on BBC.


Get celebs updates directly to your inbox + Subscribe Thank you for subscribing! Could not subscribe, try again later Invalid Email

A run-in with an ex may sound like an awkward encounter but former flames Liam Neeson and Helen Mirren appeared overjoyed to be reunited on the Graham Norton Show - which airs tonight.

Helen, 72, and Liam, 65, were together from 1980 to 1985 after meeting on the set of 1981 flick Excalibur.

When asked about the pair’s history together, Helen insisted: “We didn’t date, we lived together for four years – we were a serious item for a while. Lucky me!”

Liam also revealed how he first knew that Helen was attracted to him.

(Image: PA)

He explained: “Before I met her and we worked together I had read somewhere that if she fancied a guy she would imitate his walk behind his back.

“I turned around one day and she was doing that to me.”

The actor insisted he was “smitten” from their first encounter on set.

(Image: REX/Shutterstock)

(Image: REX/Shutterstock)

“I remember being on the set and standing with Ciaran Hinds as Helen walked towards us dressed in her full Morgana Le Fey costume and we both went, 'Oh f*ck' and I was smitten.”

“I think Ciaran was too but I was very smitten.”

Clearly taken aback, Helen replied: “I never knew that. You’ve never told me that before – it’s amazing.”

(Image: PA)

Helen has been married to director Taylor Hackford for the past two decades.

Liam met his first wife, Natasha Richardson, who tragically passed away following a freak skiing accident in 2009.

The couple welcomed two children, Micheál, 22, and Daniel, 21, during their 15-year marriage.

He has been in an on-off relationship since 2011 with publicist Freya St Johnson.


DAME Helen Mirren and Liam Neeson used to live together in the early eighties.

But, were they ever an an item? Let's take a walk down memory lane and find out...

PA:Press Association Liam and Helen dated all the way back in the 1980s

When were Helen Mirren and Liam Neeson a couple?

Helen Mirren and Liam Neeson lived together in the early 1980s. They met while working together on the 1981 film Excalibur.

The pair reunited during an appearance on The Graham Norton Show, where they opened up about their past romance.

Helen said: "We didn’t date, we lived together for four years – we were a serious item for a while."

The pair were a couple from 1980 to 1985.

What have they said about their relationship?

Neeson, 65, said it was love at first sight when her met Mirren, now 72.

He said: "I remember being on the set and standing with Ciarán Hinds as Helen walked towards us dressed in her full Morgana Le Fey costume and we both went, ‘Oh f***.

“I was smitten. I think Ciarán was too but I was very smitten!”

Helen added: “I never knew that. You’ve never told me that before – it’s amazing.”

Helen has previously said that her “favourite holidays were camping with Liam.”

Neeson has previously said Mirren was instrumental in his getting an agent.

She said: "We would drive down to France, find a campsite, and Liam would cook breakfast.

"Can you imagine Liam in a tent? He’s 6’4″!”

Rex Features Liam and Helen pictured together at the 1984 Evening Standard Film Awards

Who are Liam Neeson and Helen Mirren with now?

Liam went on to marry actress Natasha Richardson in 1994 until her unexpected death in 2009 after a skiing accident.

The pair had two sons together - Micheál Richard Antonio and Daniel Jack.

Helen has been married to director Taylor Hackford since 1997.

The pair don't have any children.

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply