Contact Form

 

Caroline Wozniacki wins Australian Open to end wait for first grand slam after edging epic against Simona Halep


Caroline Wozniacki is a woman of many parts - part-time actress, magazine cover girl and marathon runner among them. Now, after more than a decade of dedicated striving, she is a grand slam champion too.

It is hardly unusual for a major winner to fall on their back and weep after clinching a match point. These fortnights bulge with intensity, after all. But Wozniacki’s emotions were particularly raw, because of the long and winding road that has carried her to this point, and the number of naysayers she has proved wrong.

“That’s one of the most positive things about all of this,” said Wozniacki, after her 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Simona Halep. “I'm never going to get that question – 'when are you going to win a slam?' – ever again. Now I'm just waiting for the question, ‘When are you going to win the second one?’

“It was such a tough grind,” Wozniacki added. “It was very hot out there. I think both of us were very tired in the end. At the same time we fought our hardest, and I'm very proud to be here with the trophy.”

At this point, Wozniacki turned to the gigantic silver tureen that is the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup, and said, “Daphne here is going home with me tonight. I'll be cuddling with her.”

At the post-match ceremony, Wozniacki reserved her warmest thanks for her father Piotr – the only coach she has ever really trusted – and her fiancé David Lee. As a former NBA basketball star, Lee has become an advisor as well as an emotional support, and she credited him for calming her down before the match.


Caroline Wozniacki won her first Grand Slam title, and went to the top of the women’s rankings, after beating Simona Halep in an excellent Australian Open final


Australian Open Caroline Wozniacki wins Australian Open title after epic battle with Halep World No 2 wins first slam title after 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 victory

Both players battle through injury in three-setter Play Video 1:55 Wozniacki beats Halep to win Australian Open – video highlights

After 43 grand slam appearances, it was finally Caroline Wozniacki’s turn. The 27-year-old’s maiden and elusive major makes her the first Danish player to win a grand slam singles title after prevailing over a fearsome and spirited Simona Halep in three brilliant sets, 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-4.

The nature of the gruelling affair spoke of the resolve of a deserved winner, even if there was also no deserved loser. After six long years, Wozniacki regains world No 1 status, replacing Halep at the top of the rankings – an incredible turnaround of form for a player who dropped as low as No 74 as recently as August 2016.

Caroline Wozniacki beats Simona Halep to win Australian Open women's title – live! Read more

Wozniacki held back tears as she addressed the crowd. “I dreamed of this moment for so many years,” she said. “To be here today is a dream come true. I never cry, but today is an emotional moment.”

The victor also acknowledged the vanquished and the pain she was experiencing in coming so close to her own maiden slam title. They had previously been a runner-up on two occasions and the new world No 1 said it was easy to empathise with the Romanian. “I knew going into the match one of us was going to be very disappointed and sad afterwards,” she said. “I can only imagine [how she is feeling] ... I know that I didn’t want to think too much about what it would be like to win beforehand, because I knew how much it would hurt to lose.

“I just tried to go in focused and calm – so I’m sure it must be hard for her right now.”

Wozniacki admitted that her medical timeout, taken in the third set when trailing 4-3, had enabled her to refocus on her gameplan, and take a more aggressive game to the Romanian. “She takes the ball very early, I needed to take the pressure to her … I knew I had to step in and hit more freely. I knew if I didn’t I was out.”

Both players struggled with conditions on another humid and hot day, with a 10-minute enforced timeout at the end of the second set appearing to work to Wozniacki’s advantage after Halep had rallied to force the deciding set. “It was very hot and we were very tired,” Wozniacki said. “But we fought our hardest and I’m very proud to be here with the trophy.”

Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) I got too nervous to watch but woke up to @CaroWozniacki new number one and aussie open champ. So awesome. So happy. Are those tears? Yup they are. 😭 from a year ago to today I'm so proud my friend so proud. Literally can't even sleep now

The Dane had almost been eliminated in the second round, overturning a 5-1 deficit in the final set and saving two match points against the Croat Jana Fett. After that match, Wozniacki was quoted as saying she had nothing to lose and in the final she played as such, despite competing for the biggest prize of her life and one that had eluded her for so long. There were times in her career when she wondered whether she had the capacity to reach peak form again and clinch her first slam.

“At certain points when you have injuries you start doubting if you’re ever going to be 100% healthy for long periods of time but last year I’ve proved I can beat anyone on court.

“I’m just happy I won the title and it’s really special to start off the year like this.

“When you’re in the finals – I’m not going to lie – I was really nervous, but once I settled and I had the warm-up, I thought, I have everything to win and whatever happens, happens, but I’m going to go out fighting. If it’s not enough it is what it is but I’m going to be proud of my effort. World No 1 and new grand slam champion sounds pretty good.”

Australian Open: Dylan Alcott wins fourth-straight quad wheelchair title Read more

Halep, meanwhile, arrived on the greatest stage of all having saved five match points in two separate matches when the final sets went to 15-13 and 9-7 respectively. After the final, Halep admitted she had struggled for energy, having endured severe pain after rolling her ankle in the first round. The injury will require an MRI scan and restricted her to 10-15 minutes of practice a day. Under the circumstances, Halep said she could be proud of her performance.

“Physically it was very tough. But mentally I was ready and I feel I can face any challenge, I can play against anyone, I can win against anyone. But Caroline was better than me.

“For sure I will fight, as I have for many years and hopefully I will face another challenge like today. The people watching back home said I couldn’t make it the third time, maybe the fourth time will be good luck. Hopefully next year I will see you in the same position.”

Wozniacki’s victory continues a hot vein of form for the new champion, who has reached the title match in her past three tournaments, including October’s breakthrough victory at the WTA Finals against Venus Williams, then the biggest victory of her career.

Now, Wozniacki will deal with the inevitable attention of being a first-time grand slam winner, although it will undoubtedly be preferable to the scrutiny of another major final loss.


CAROLINE WOZNIACKI has reached her third Grand Slam final as she aims to lift her first major trophy at the Australian Open.

The 27-year-old Dane will face world no 1 Simona Halep with the winner also securing the top spot in the rankings.

Instagram @dlee042

Who is her fiance?

WOZNIACKI is currently engaged to ex-NBA player David Lee.

She announced on her social media account that they were dating on Valentine's Day in 2017.

The couple got engaged in November whilst on holiday in Bora Bora.

Twitter, @CaroWozniacki Caroline Wozniacki announced her engagement to David Lee on social media

Why is David Lee famous?

DAVID Lee, who has been supporting her at the Australian Open, is a former NBA All-star and winner of the NBA Championship.

Lee won the NBA Championship in his final season with Gold State Warriors in 2015 and announced his retirement shortly after the pair got engaged.

Caroline Wozniacki overjoyed at Aussie Open win as Simona Halep rues losing another slam final

Most read in sport Australian Open final LIVE Roger Federer faces Marin Cilic in hunt for 20th Grand Slam win RACECARDS AND RESULTS The latest odds, results and tips for today's meeting at Sedgefield RACECARDS AND RESULTS The latest odds, results and tips for today's meeting at Naas SUNDAY SIZZLERS Top Tipster Templegate's best horse racing tips for today's action BED DEVIL Model, 23, reveals Man U ace Antonio Valencia wooed her — claiming he was SINGLE Fight night Lucas Matthysse vs Tewa Kiram: TV channel, live stream and undercard info fight night Jorge Linares vs Mercito Gesta: Start time, live stream and TV channel LIN-CREDIBLE Jorge Linares retains lightweight title with shutout win over Mercito Gesta

Was she was engaged to Rory McIlroy?

THE couple were together between 2011 and 2014 after bonding over their sporting lifestyles.

The pair were regularly seen together with Wozniacki acting as his caddie in a par-three competition on the eve of the Masters in 2013

McIlroy announced on New Year's Eve the same year that the pair had got engaged.

AP:Associated Press Rory McIlroy called off his engagement to Caroline Wozniacki, saying he wasn't ready

How did their relationship end?

MCILROY ended the relationship in 2014, just days after their wedding invitations had been sent out with rumours that she had become a "bridezilla."

The break-up took place over the phone - something which Wozniacki has since admitted she found hard.

In his statement he said, "The wedding invitations made me realise that I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails. I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had.”

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply