Contact Form

 

Caroline Wozniacki Juara Australia Terbuka 2018


Caroline Wozniacki is a woman of many parts - part-time actress, magazine cover girl and marathon runner among them. Now, after more than a decade of dedicated striving, she is a grand slam champion too.

It is hardly unusual for a major winner to fall on their back and weep after clinching a match point. These fortnights bulge with intensity, after all. But Wozniacki’s emotions were particularly raw, because of the long and winding road that has carried her to this point, and the number of naysayers she has proved wrong.

“That’s one of the most positive things about all of this,” said Wozniacki, after her 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Simona Halep. “I'm never going to get that question – 'when are you going to win a slam?' – ever again. Now I'm just waiting for the question, ‘When are you going to win the second one?’

“It was such a tough grind,” Wozniacki added. “It was very hot out there. I think both of us were very tired in the end. At the same time we fought our hardest, and I'm very proud to be here with the trophy.”

At this point, Wozniacki turned to the gigantic silver tureen that is the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup, and said, “Daphne here is going home with me tonight. I'll be cuddling with her.”

At the post-match ceremony, Wozniacki reserved her warmest thanks for her father Piotr – the only coach she has ever really trusted – and her fiancé David Lee. As a former NBA basketball star, Lee has become an advisor as well as an emotional support, and she credited him for calming her down before the match.


MELBOURNE - Caroline Wozniacki keluar sebagai juara di turnamen Grand Slam Australia Terbuka 2018. Pada laga final yang berlangsung di Rod Laver Arena, Sabtu (27/1/2018), petenis cantik asal Denmark itu berhasil mempermalukan Simona Halep dalam pertarungan sengit tiga set 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 Pertandingan yang mempertemukan petenis wanita peringkat satu dan dua di dunia merupakan peristiwa langka terjadi. Karena itu, Wozniacki maupun Halep sama-sama mempertontonkan penampilan terbaiknya di lapangan keras. Namun berbicara mengenai pengalaman, Wozniacki memang difavoritkan dan dia berhasil menjawab dukungan itu dengan sebuah gelar. Ini merupakan trofi bergengsi pertama yang diraih petenis berambut pirang di Australia Terbuka. Ratu Tenis Dunia Mantan kekasih Rory McIlroy dua kali mempermalukan Halep hanya dalam tempo waktu yang singkat. Pertama, Wozniacki menyudahi perlawanannya di final. Kedua, Halep bakal kehilangan statusnya sebagai ratu tenis dunia dan Wozniacki bakal mengambil alih label tersebut. Asosiasi Tenis Wanita (WTA) akan mengonfirmasi status baru Wozniacki pada Senin, (29/1/2018). Beralih ke pertandingan partai puncak. Dengan hasil positif ini, Wozniacki menerima hadiah sebesar 4 juta dollar Australia (AUD). Sementara Halep mendapatka 2 juta AUD. (bep)




Australian Open Caroline Wozniacki wins Australian Open title after epic battle with Halep World No 2 wins first slam title after 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 victory

Both players battle through injury in three-setter Play Video 1:55 Wozniacki beats Halep to wins Australian Open – video highlights

After no fewer than 43 grand slam appearances, it was finally, belatedly Caroline Wozniacki’s turn. The 27-year-old’s maiden and elusive major makes her the first Danish player to win a grand slam singles title after prevailing over a fearsome and spirited Simona Halep in three brilliant sets, 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-4 at Rod Laver Arena.

The nature of the gruelling affair spoke of the resolve of a deserved winner, even if there was also no deserved loser. After six long years, Wozniacki also regains world No 1 status, replacing Halep at the top of the rankings – an incredible turnaround of form for a player who dropped as low as No 74 as recently as August 2016.

Wozniacki held back tears as she addressed the crowd. “I dreamed of this moment for so many years,” she said. “To be here today is a dream come true, I never cry but today is an emotional moment.”

The victor also acknowledged the vanquished and the pain she was experiencing in coming so close to her own maiden slam title. Both had previously been a runner-up on two occasions and the new world No 1 said it was easy to empathise with the Romanian. “I knew going into the match one of us was going to be very disappointed and sad afterwards,” she said. “I can only imagine [how she is feeling] ... I know that I didn’t want to think too much about what it would be like to win beforehand, because I knew how much it would hurt to lose. I just tried to go in focused and calm – so I’m sure it must be hard for her right now.”

Caroline Wozniacki beats Simona Halep to win Australian Open women's title – live! Read more

Wozniacki admitted that her medical timeout, taken in the third set trailing 3-4, had enabled her to refocus on her game plan, and take a more “aggressive” game to the Romanian. “She takes the ball very early, I needed to take the pressure to her … I knew I had to step in and hit more freely. I knew if I didn’t I was out.”

Both players struggled with conditions on another humid and hot Melbourne day, with a 10-minute enforced timeout at the end of the second set also appearing to work to Wozniacki’s advantage after Halep had successfully rallied to force the deciding set. “It was very hot and we were both very tired,” Wozniacki said. “But we fought our hardest and I’m very proud to be here with the trophy.”

Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) I got too nervous to watch but woke up to @CaroWozniacki new number one and aussie open champ. So awesome. So happy. Are those tears? Yup they are. 😭 from a year ago to today I'm so proud my friend so proud. Literally can't even sleep now

The Dane had almost been eliminated in the second round, overturning a 5-1 deficit in the final set and saving two match points against the Croat Jana Fett. After that match Wozniacki was quoted as saying she had “nothing to lose”, and in the final she played as such, despite competing for the biggest prize of her tennis life and one that had eluded her so long. There were times in her career when she had doubted her capacity to reach peak form again and clinch her maiden slam.

“At certain points when you have injuries you start doubting if you’re ever going to be 100% healthy for long periods of time but last year – and already for a year and a half – I’ve proved I can beat anyone on court. I don’t know [if it is more satisfying winning after waiting so long]. I’m just happy I won the title and it’s really special to start off the year like this.

“When you’re in the finals – I’m not going to lie I was really nervous but once I settled and I had the warm-up, I thought, I have everything to win and whatever happens, happens, but I’m going to go out fighting. If it’s not enough it is what it is but I’m going to be proud of my effort. World No 1 and new grand slam champion sounds pretty good.”

Australian Open: Dylan Alcott wins fourth-straight quad wheelchair title Read more

Halep, meanwhile, arrived on the greatest stage of all having saved no fewer than five match points across two separate matches whose final sets went to 15-13 and 9-7, respectively. After the final, Halep admitted that she had struggled for energy, having endured severe pain after rolling her ankle in the first round. The injury will require an MRI scan and restricted her to at most 10-15 minutes of practice a day. Under the circumstances, Halep said she could be proud of her performance.

“Physically it was very tough. But mentally I was ready, and I feel I can face any challenge, I can play against anyone, I can win against anyone. But Caroline was better than me. For sure I will fight, as I have for many years and hopefully I will face another challenge like today. The people watching back home said I couldn’t make it the third time, maybe the fourth time will be good luck. Hopefully next year I will see you in the same position.”

Wozniacki’s victory continues a hot vein of form for the newly crowned champion, who has reached the title match in her last three tournaments, including October’s breakthrough victory at the WTA Finals against Venus Williams, the then biggest victory of her career.

Now, Wozniacki will deal with the inevitable attention of being a first-time grand slam winner, although it will undoubtedly be preferable to the scrutiny of another grand slam final loss.


Caroline Wozniacki won her first Grand Slam title, and went to the top of the women’s rankings, after beating Simona Halep in an excellent Australian Open final

Total comment

Author

fw

0   comments

Cancel Reply